Facebook is NOT a "social network".

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Facebook is NOT a "social network".

Post by Shane74340 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Because of this crap:

"Do you know this user personally? To prevent misuse of Facebook, this request can't be sent. To learn more, please visit the Help Center. If you believe you're seeing this message in error, you can report the problem."

The point of a SOCIAL network is to make new friends and connect with old friends.

Adding friends is one area where MySpace still blasts ahead of Facebook. (not to mention the 5,000 friend limit)
Shane74340
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Re: Facebook is NOT a "social network".

Post by Ruby on Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:07 pm

Let me ask you to start with ...

Do you use Facebook ?

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by DragonSearch on Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:30 am

MySpace has been suffering a n unavoidable demise and I don't really think it excels at anything besides spammy comments and a bombardment of bands attempting to use my account as a banner. Les sigh. ^MV

Facebook continues to accelerate and despite it's flaws, it is the best social network out right now.
DragonSearch
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane74340 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Facebook is the best network out there. I'm not sure it falls under "Social" though. Social means communicating with other people.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/social
Shane74340
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:23 am

You still fail to answer my question!!

Do you have a Facebook account?

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:07 pm

And how doesn't Facebook let you communicate with other people, exactly?

If this is because of its limitation to add unknown people (who could actually be real-life friends), I agree and disagree with your point of view, at the same time. You may not forget many people abuse of the friends tool too often, and Facebook is "forced" to take these drastic measures.

Although they could be a little less drastic...

Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby on Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Ruby wrote:You still fail to answer my question!!

@The ListenerThe OP still declines to answer this question and I beg to suggest that, unless the OP can speak from personal use of and experience with logging into Facebook they are really not in any position to critisize Facebook ?

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by MasFB on Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:11 pm

I am agree with Ruby. Tongue
MasFB
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mileytipton on Mon May 09, 2011 9:50 am

Facebook is one of the best social networking platform which works best in knowing everything which is needed to done for marketing and for getting associated with everyone.
mileytipton
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby on Mon May 09, 2011 7:01 pm

We seem to have contradictory statements on this thread .....

We start off with a condemnatory blast about Facebook

Because of this crap:

"Do you know this user personally? To prevent misuse of Facebook, this request can't be sent. To learn more, please visit the Help Center. If you believe you're seeing this message in error, you can report the problem."

The point of a SOCIAL network is to make new friends and connect with old friends.

Adding friends is one area where MySpace still blasts ahead of Facebook. (not to mention the 5,000 friend limit)

Then we revert to a loving approval of it
Facebook is the best network out there. I'm not sure it falls under "Social" though. Social means communicating with other people.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/social

And my question still remains unanswered!!
You still fail to answer my question!!

And this remains un-responded to by the OP
The OP still declines to answer this question and I beg to suggest that, unless the OP can speak from personal use of and experience with logging into Facebook they are really not in any position to critisize Facebook ?

So why do my questions go unanswered?

How can one either condemn or praise Facebook if one does not actually have a Facebook account and are not therefore in any position of first- hand useage etc of it to make any comment about it?

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mileytipton on Wed May 11, 2011 10:38 am

I am completely agree with what Ruby stated here and it is really very necessary first to know about the topic your are starting and then to understand what you are specifying about.
mileytipton
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by mjrbaseball on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Facebook is the very definition of a social network. The only thing I use it for is communicating with other people.

I'm not sure I should say this, being very new to this forum, but Facebook has been tremendous therapy in dealing with some of my mental health issues, including bringing forth a wealth of long-lost friends eager to help me. My therapist is even praising Facebook for providing me with the opportunity to communicate with others.
mjrbaseball
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by brettxw on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:37 pm

This is how I view it...If you don't like Facebook or have a problem with it..Don't use it. Go back to MySpace.
brettxw
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane74340 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:30 pm

Actually, I do have two Facebook accounts. One for Friends and Family, and the second one is for non-friends and family activities. (I hardly post in both accounts, so FB doesn't care about how many accounts I have.
Shane74340
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by brettxw on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:01 pm

You can have as many as u want so long u have enough ensuing addresses
brettxw
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby on Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:58 am

brettxw wrote:You can have as many as u want so long u have enough ensuing addresses

Do you really think that that is correct?

If Facebook is a social networking site and you happen to lose access to one of the Facebook accounts (that obviously cannot be all in the same name ) and Facebook then require an ID from you to reclaim the account...may one ask what fraudulent ID you then seek to obtain proof of your ownership of the account ??

And actually Facebook really require you to have only one and that in your real name!!

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mjrbaseball on Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:17 am

Facebook may "require" only one per person, but if you use multiple e-mail addesses there is no way they can tell.
mjrbaseball
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by brettxw on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Ruby wrote:
brettxw wrote:You can have as many as u want so long u have enough ensuing addresses

If Facebook is a social networking site and you happen to lose access to one of the Facebook accounts (that obviously cannot be all in the same name ) and Facebook then require an ID from you to reclaim the account...may one ask what fraudulent ID you then seek to obtain proof of your ownership of the account ??

And actually Facebook really require you to have only one and that in your real name!!

My three accounts ARE in my real name. They can't tell if its a fake or what not. They have over 750+ million users...Do you think they really care to verify if every single profile is legit..No. What would they do with all the other Brett Wyman's out there? There are 4 other Brett Wyman's on FB that I know of that I am friends with. Would they delete their accounts because I am Brett Wyman or delete mine because they are Brett Wyman?
brettxw
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Poke on Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:03 pm

brettxw wrote:
Ruby wrote:

My three accounts ARE in my real name. They can't tell if its a fake or what not. They have over 750+ million users...Do you think they really care to verify if every single profile is legit..No. What would they do with all the other Brett Wyman's out there? There are 4 other Brett Wyman's on FB that I know of that I am friends with. Would they delete their accounts because I am Brett Wyman or delete mine because they are Brett Wyman?

Plus you can have many accounts if you have a lot of different email address it does not have to be different names.
Poke
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce99 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:24 pm

you know if you do a quick search there are many social networks out there, its just that this one became a monster and made the owner very rich. a lot of people still prefer being on niche forums that are about their town or their club or whatever. Far more likely to get people with a few more common interests that way.
bruce99
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum