Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Complicated problem with admin roles, merging pages etc

2 posters

Go down

Complicated problem with admin roles, merging pages etc Empty Complicated problem with admin roles, merging pages etc

Post by thepinkprincess Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:20 am

Before I started working for my employer, a city office, someone created a Facebook Profile (person) of our municipality.

My task was to change this to an official Page.

First - I manually created a Facebook Page. Later I read about a Facebook function that automatically turns a Profile to a Page - all the friends turns into likes so I did this. So now I have two Facebook pages for the same municipality and I only want one.

So my problem is that I want one official Facebook Page and that I need to have full access to it.

I wanted to add some admins to the "automatic Page" but couldn't add anyone. By mistake I changed the admin role from the highest to the next highest. This means there is nobody that has the highest admin role on this, the second page. I can't add people as admins which is something I want to do. I can add content but that's about it.

I've sent multiple reports to Facebook without a single answer so I'm very frustrated and starting to run out of options and people to ask. Nobody seems to have this deep knowledge about FB Pages.

I've tried to solve it on my own. The first thing I tried was to merge the pages because I wan't to keep the "likes" on my two pages (100 and 700). But the "Merge Pages" option isn't available on my two Pages. It could be because they don't have exactly the same name but I can't change it to the same name either (since it's occupied already by myself).
So I tried with the Facebook page Request a Page Merge. This page tells me that my page isn't authentic. I've googled but haven't found any way to authenticate my page. I found this script online where you add the link to the page but nothing happends. Another way is to press a button called "Protect my page" but that option isn't available in any of the two pages.

Now I have tried using my personal FB profile to try and say that the two pages are duplicates (since some people has been able to merge this way). Don't know if this will work. I will try sending a request to my friends to see if they can try this for me.

One option could be to say that someone has infringed on my property, but it feels like a bad solution and I don't know the process there.

So I'm wondering if there's someone out there who has any other ideas or tips what to do or where to turn to? It feels awfully unprofessional to have two Pages and one that I can't properly manage. Any help will be so utterly thankful.
thepinkprincess
thepinkprincess

Back to top Go down

Complicated problem with admin roles, merging pages etc Empty Re: Complicated problem with admin roles, merging pages etc

Post by Ruby Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:28 am

thepinkprincess wrote:Before I started working for my employer, a city office, someone created a Facebook Profile (person) of our municipality.
Was this done officially or unofficially?

Does that person still have contact with the office or you ?

My task was to change this to an official Page.

Did you get the admin rights to do this and if so how?

First - I manually created a Facebook Page.

With what was this associated or was it a completely new adventure?

Later I read about a Facebook function that automatically turns a Profile to a Page

Where did you find this please?-

all the friends turns into likes so I did this. So now I have two Facebook pages for the same municipality and I only want one.

Can you actually access both completely ?

I've sent multiple reports to Facebook without a single answer so I'm very frustrated and starting to run out of options and people to ask. Nobody seems to have this deep knowledge about FB Pages.
To whom have you sent the emails ?

So I tried with the Facebook page Request a Page Merge. This page tells me that my page isn't authentic

Can you actually find each page and log into them?

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Complicated problem with admin roles, merging pages etc Empty Re: Complicated problem with admin roles, merging pages etc

Post by thepinkprincess Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:05 am

1. This person working in our city office (official representative) created a Facebook profile on her own without the knowing of other but she managed it together with other official representatives. I know her and have talked to her and that is how I got access to the account. She has no further access.

2. As I mentioned, I got the login from the one who started the profile. This gave me full admin rights to the Facebook profile which I later turned into a Page.

3. I created a official Facebook Page for the municipality since I didn't know about Facebooks own automatical function for turning a profile into a page.

4. I found the function with the help of Google and Facebooks own link in the forum. You find it on Facebook by searching for something like "convert profile". I cannot link to the page.

5. I have access to both pages. But in the first page I created I'm a Manager but as I said, in the second I'm only a content creator because of me trying to add administrators to the page. Maybe that means I haven't got full access. But I'm the only one with access.

6. I've sent reports to Facebook by using their own forms since they there aren't any email adresses. I sent at least five before my vacation and some more now after my vacation. I have also asked on Facebook and tried to get help from Twitter users.

7. When you turn a profile into a Page - it's a bit messed up system. I actually log on to the profile called Hmhm municipality - a person - but the person named Hmhm municipality doen't exist anymore and don't show up in searches. This account has access to both the page so when I log in I can see and use them both. If I try searching for them with my private Facebook profile I find them both.
thepinkprincess
thepinkprincess

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:27 am

thepinkprincess wrote:1. This person working in our city office (official representative) created a Facebook profile on her own without the knowing of other but she managed it together with other official representatives.

Before we go any further, did she have permission to do this or is she in breach of her work contract?

Whose permission/authority from work ( Manager etc) do you have to be now attempting to access it ?

2. As I mentioned, I got the login from the one who started the profile

By whose right did she have permission to give you that access?.
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by thepinkprincess Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:46 pm

1. There isn't any contract that states what she had the permission to do or not do. I think the starting of the FB profile was at part of an official project - at the same time they also started a Twitter and a Youtube user which I have now access to (they were both dormant and nobody had the access because everyone who worked with the project left).

2. It feels like you're asking very strange questions... My work place doesn't have any hierarchy. In my position (working with PR, web etcetera) I work mostly on my own initiative when nobody orders or give me tasks. My boss (head of the municipality) does not control my every move or give me permission for everything except when it's a question of more important things (like campaigns or our new upcoming website). We don't have a hierarchy like that. It was just luck that I even found out that we had a Facebook user and therefore there is no permission/authority to talk about. I'm an official representative of a municipality and the only one who knows anything about social media. Also - I already have access, the problem is I don't have the full access I need. There are no regulations (yet) for the use of social media in our city office.

3. She left at a time when there was a lot of problems with the working enviroment - a few other key personal left at the same time. Nobody in the city office was left that had social media as a part of their job description. There was one guy to added work ads to our Facebook profile but that was it. During the year from when she left there was nobody in the city office with the responsiility - until I started in April and took that responsibility. Since I know you can't pretend as a company to be a person I made the choice of starting a page for our municipality. As I said - there is no permission to even be talking about. It was a matter of her helping me do my job.
thepinkprincess
thepinkprincess

Back to top Go down

Post by thepinkprincess Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:57 am

After countless e-mails I eventually sent a message to the ad-agency on Facebook describing my problems. Formulating the problem as a ad-problem: that I could not add admins who wanted to create ads. Suddenly I logged in with full admin capacity and managed to merge my two pages. So this problem is solved!

Moved to solved section
thepinkprincess
thepinkprincess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down