Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hide Status

4 posters

Go down

Hide Status Empty Hide Status

Post by Mika123 Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:45 pm

Hello!!

So basically before all the charges were made to Facebook, I used to be able to select a list of friends and hide my status updates from them - so basically they could see my whole profile (wall, pictures etc) but they never saw my status updates, which was great.
Now I noticed that if I decide to hide my status updates from someone they can't see my whole wall either - which stinks because it shows that I am hiding my profile.
Is there a way to hide the status but let them still see my wall, posts by others and comments?

Thanks

Mika123
Mika123
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Hide Status Empty Re: Hide Status

Post by Tim Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi,

Sorry that no one has gotten to your query. Are you still having a problem with this? Thanks for the update.

(Moved from profile etc support)
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika123 Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:54 pm

Hi, yes, still having the same issue:
If I hide my status the people I am hiding my status from can't view my wall either.
I would like to be able to hide my status but keep my wall visible which with the new FB settings is not possible, I tried every possible way.
Thanks

Moved back to Wall Help Happy Eyes
Mika123
Mika123
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Poke Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:37 pm

Hey mika,

go to your account ----> then Private settings----> Recommend then Customize Setting then posts by me click everyone the Customize then Only me. You can still see your status but no one else can not. Dont forget to press Save Setting.

Hope this helps! Good Luck Wink

Regards,
Poke
Poke
Poke
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika123 Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:32 am

Thanks, but that wouldn't solve my problem though Happy
I still want some of my friends to see my status + my wall ... others to see only my wall but not my status.

There is no way to achieve that, I tried.

Thanks though.
Mika123
Mika123
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Poke Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:39 am

Oh go to your privte settings but it says what people u want to block some of ur friends would see it if they are not blockd! Wink
Poke
Poke
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika123 Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:31 am

Happy tried that way too, doesn't work either:)
Mika123
Mika123
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:37 pm

There is a solution. Very Happy

When posting a new status, click on the little padlock icon next to "Share", then "Custom" and type in the name of the list you want to hide it from.

On your privacy settings, select "Only friends" and no exceptions for "Posts by me". Your wall will be visible to them, but those statuses won't.

The 'bad thing' is that statuses you've posted before will be visible to them unless you delete them and re-post them using this padlock method. Duhhh
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika123 Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi There .... So, I have tried also this solution although I can use that method only when I update my status on a computer (not through my BB). So I tried that way also and is basically the same as blocking my status from the privacy page settings (with the difference that with the lock icon I can choose each time who to block) ... but people wouldn't be able to see my wall either -- Wall and statuses are not 2 different options, if you look on the privacy settings page, you will see that under "posts by me" it says Default setting for posts, including status updates and photos - so I can not separate walls (posts by me or others) from statuses, it's all one package, if I hide one I hide the other one too.
I tried everything, trust me, I tried every single possible way, it used to be so simple and practical .... and checked how my profile is seen by the people I want to hide my status from, they have no WALL tab, they can only see my "INFO" - so it's pretty obvious that I locked them out from my profile, they can't see anything.
Mika123
Mika123
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:35 pm

I beg to differ. I just did a test with my dummy and regular accounts, and hid my status from each other... it works perfectly. That particular status isn't visible, but the whole wall is.

Wall and statuses are not 2 different options, if you look on the privacy settings page, you will see that under "posts by me" it says Default setting for posts, including status updates and photos - so I can not separate walls (posts by me or others) from statuses, it's all one package, if I hide one I hide the other one too.
I know, that's why I said that option should be set to "Only Friends", and not hidden from anybody. Then, when posting the status, you click on the padlock icon and hide the status from them: wall remains visible, but that status doesn't.

Sometimes the "Preview my profile" setting doesn't work for settings that aren't modified through the Privacy Settings page (like the status one). Happy
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika123 Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:41 pm

uhmmm ... got it, but it's still complicated because :
a) my old statuses will be visible to them
b) I have to be on an actual computer in order to use that feature (blackberries don't support it).

I used to be able to set it and go - before this new locker feature came.

Thanks for checking for me though, if you find any other way that can be set and forget about pls let me know... because this way is way too much work for a simple Facebook update, plus not too safe because I used it before (locking some people out) and they were able to comment on THAT status! Happy

Mika123
Mika123
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:53 pm

I mentioned that on my first post here - old statuses are still visible to them. Sad And indeed, this doesn't work with the BlackBerry application.

I agree the privacy setting for Wall and Statuses is extremely crappy. "Posts by me" includes too many things that, I believe, should be separate.

I'm afraid unless Facebook launches a new privacy setting for statuses (old and new ones), what you ask for won't be possible. Duhhh

Problem 'solved'?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mika123 Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:50 pm

Problem is not really solved but there is no real solution so let's say the problem has been figured out Happy Thanks

Well, uhmm... considered answered! Tongue - The Listener
Mika123
Mika123
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down