Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adding a Share button on your site : Giving FB the right to use its content ?

2 posters

Go down

Adding a Share button on your site : Giving FB the right to use its content ? Empty Adding a Share button on your site : Giving FB the right to use its content ?

Post by minutepapillon Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:23 am

Hi everyone,
I am a pro photographer and found useful to insert some share buttons on my site. But just after having done so, I remembered that some legal issues have to be kept in mind when you create a FB profile. For example, all the pictures you upload are somehow offered to FB ... FB can use them without any further permission from you.
BUT ! ... adding a share button is not the same thing as uploading the pictures to a FB account.
So do you know if I loose any right on the content of my site by adding a share button.

Thanks for any help ! (... as these legal problems go far beyond my competence ... )
;o)

Happy

Moved from General to Facebook Support Profile and In Box

Last edited by Ruby on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved to hopefully the more appropriate section)
minutepapillon
minutepapillon

Back to top Go down

Adding a Share button on your site : Giving FB the right to use its content ? Empty Re: Adding a Share button on your site : Giving FB the right to use its content ?

Post by Admin Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:36 am

:welcometofbf:

According to Facebook's Terms of Service...

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

That means photos you upload to Facebook belong to them until you delete or disable your account.

The Share feature isn't the same thing... they're not photos, but links. If you add a Share button to your page, where you keep the photos, and somebody clicks it and post it onto his/her wall, that photo is still yours as long as you own copyrights. Links you share aren't Facebook's property. Wink
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Adding a Share button on your site : Giving FB the right to use its content ? Empty Re: Adding a Share button on your site : Giving FB the right to use its content ?

Post by minutepapillon Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:06 am

Thanks mister Listener,

So explained, it's obvious.

One detail : when somebody likes one of my pages, he is asked to chose an image to be used as a thumbnail to represent the link. The picture, my picture, then appears on his FB profile. There must be an authorization given for that. That's why I expected some secret term of use to be involved in this.
What do you think ?
Thanks
minutepapillon
minutepapillon

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 am

No, the thumbnail isn't a Facebook picture, because you never uploaded it to the site. Only content uploaded on Facebook belongs to them. Wink
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by minutepapillon Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks !!
I feel better now with these little share buttons !
Bye ...
minutepapillon
minutepapillon

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 am

No problem! Very Happy

Solved
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down