Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making a profile completely public to everyone on the internet.

2 posters

Go down

Making a profile completely public to everyone on the internet. Empty Making a profile completely public to everyone on the internet.

Post by jthick Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:05 pm

I have created a facebook profile for my fire department but the only people who can see the profile are people who are registered with facebook. There still are a lot of people not signed up with facebook, so how do I make it public to everyone to see. I have noticed that profile pages are just preview pages but facebook pages are open to everyone on the internet. Is this true? And if it is, if I change my profile to a page using use facebook as page option under account will this work. Does anything change on my profile, such as how many friends, wall posts, or most importantly my url? Please help. I want it to be open and public to everyone, if they are signed up with facebook or not.
jthick
jthick

Back to top Go down

Making a profile completely public to everyone on the internet. Empty Re: Making a profile completely public to everyone on the internet.

Post by Tim Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:21 pm

Hello,

Facebook Pages and Profiles are separate and independent of each other. Pages, as you mentioned, are open for everyone to view, although some content may be visible only after you 'Like' it.

Profiles, on the other hand, are meant for use with individual accounts. Their privacy settings can be adjusted, but there are still some content that may not be visible to others until they are 'friends' with the profile. In addition, only those who are friends with the profile can write on the profile wall; non-friends cannot.

In your case, I think a page would be more suited for you since it is for your fire department. Unfortunately, none of your friends / wall posts / url would transfer there (Friends become Fans; you can ask the current friends associated with your profile to like you page instead)

The 'Use Facebook as page' option you mentioned is only used for those who already have a page -- see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for more information on that feature.
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down