Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Privacy of photos---how does tagging affect it?

3 posters

Go down

Privacy of photos---how does tagging affect it? Empty Privacy of photos---how does tagging affect it?

Post by pearson100 Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:43 am

Two scenarios that happened:

1. I set the privacy of a photo albums to certain friends. Now, friend A tagged herself in this album and so when I went to her Wall, that photo was on her Wall. That means all her friends can see this photo! But that overrides my privacy settings on that photo since I had only wanted a select group of my own friends to see that photo. How can that be?

2. In another album, I set the privacy to friends in a certain list, (call it "list E"). A friend tagged person B who appeared in one of these photos. Person B is not a friend of mine. Does this mean that person B will now be able to see this photo? (Unlike scenario 1, I don't know what is happening since I'm not friends with B).
pearson100
pearson100

Back to top Go down

Privacy of photos---how does tagging affect it? Empty Re: Privacy of photos---how does tagging affect it?

Post by Admin Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:32 pm

I set the privacy of a photo albums to certain friends. Now, friend A tagged herself in this album and so when I went to her Wall, that photo was on her Wall. That means all her friends can see this photo! But that overrides my privacy settings on that photo since I had only wanted a select group of my own friends to see that photo. How can that be?
I think Photo Tag Requests work for non-friends only... Even though I believe your privacy settings should have priority over your friend's.

In another album, I set the privacy to friends in a certain list, (call it "list E"). A friend tagged person B who appeared in one of these photos. Person B is not a friend of mine. Does this mean that person B will now be able to see this photo? (Unlike scenario 1, I don't know what is happening since I'm not friends with B).
This photo will be visible to him/her, since it's now part of 'Photos of me'.
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Privacy of photos---how does tagging affect it? Empty Re: Privacy of photos---how does tagging affect it?

Post by pearson100 Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:41 pm

Hmmm, so that is problematic --- if I want to keep a small circle of friends, my photos can be seen by other non-friends by this "tagging" mechanism. This seems to be a flaw in Privacy. Private should me private, really! How do we alert FB about this? I wonder if people know this in general?
pearson100
pearson100

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:11 am

I'm pretty sure Facebook is already aware of this... in fact, this could have been done un purpouse. Facebook updated every single privacy setting a year ago, after many people complaining about having very limited privacy on the site... to the point Facebook employees are now being called privacy freaks. Tongue

This seems a little contradicting according to the Help Centre, though. Have a look...

Users are able to view tagged photos of me even though I have restricted access to them.

Restricting the privacy setting for "Photos and videos I'm tagged in" only prevents other users' ability to view your tagged photos via your profile. It does not restrict the ability of users to view these photos elsewhere on the site1.

Please keep in mind that the owner of a photo determines the privacy of that photo2. If other users are able to view photos you are tagged in, then it is because the owner of the photos has most likely set the privacy of the photo album so that everyone can see the photos in it. While there is the option to block users from viewing the "Photos of" section on your own profile, there is no way to restrict the visibility of a photo that you are not the owner of.
So we have 2 different and opposite things here. 1 is for this issue... your photo may not be visible on your profile, but can be seen elsewhere on Facebook; in this case, your friend's profile.

On the other hand, 2 says only YOU, owner of the photo, have the 'top privacy setting'... it should have priority over your friend's 'Photos and videos of me' privacy setting.

We have a dilemma here...
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fayde Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:35 am

Moved from Privacy Support to Awaiting Reply

There has been no reply of this being solved for over a week.

If you do not reply to this thread within the next 3 days we will move this topic to the Abandoned Topic section without further notice.
Fayde
Fayde
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum