Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Older posts and edit button bits missing

3 posters

Go down

Older posts and edit button bits missing Empty Older posts and edit button bits missing

Post by NotarySojac Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:00 pm

We are also seeing this on & off doe the past week but on only one account and only in Firefox (3.0.15 - can not update to 3.6 yet due to incompatable add-in) on MacOS 10.5.8. Flushing the cache has no effect, nor does toggling back & forth repeatedly between News Feed & Top Stories, nor does doing a Force-Refresh multiple times.

When I look at the Page Source, the OLDER POSTS box code is there but it is preceeded by "This stream is unavailable at this time. Please try again soon", so it looks to be a server-side issue.

Last edited by ruby1 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : merged from other topic)
NotarySojac
NotarySojac
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Older posts and edit button bits missing Empty Older Posts & Edit Options links missing

Post by NotarySojac Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:12 pm

Many folks at the FB "Help" Discussion (hah) have been reporting this for the past month. We have this on one specific account and only in Firefox, though others report it only in Chrome or presumably Internet Explorer on Windows. I have filed two bug reports at FB on this today.
If I log out of FB and log in with another FB account the OLDER POSTS box shows up fine, which means flushing the cache should make no difference and indeed it does not. Flushing Firefox's cache and indeed clearing all cookies & sessions did nothing but require us to look up all my assorted usernames & passwords to be able to log back into various sites.

When I look at the Page Source, the OLDER POSTS box code is there but it is preceeded by "This stream is unavailable at this time. Please try again soon", so it looks to be a server-side issue.

Some folks have reported that toggling back & forth between Most Recent and Top News views got the Older Posts box to appear. Others have had occasional success with Force-Reloading, deleting their cache, or applying any available browser updates. None of these have worked (can't update Firefox due to an add-In that has not been made compatible yet) but since this suddenly started happening a few weeks ago I suspect it is some change FB made or a corrupted account.

Firefox 3.0.18, MacOS 10.5.8.

Strangely, if we log into the same account with Chrome or Safari the OLDER POSTS box shows up fine.
NotarySojac
NotarySojac
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Older posts and edit button bits missing Empty Re: Older posts and edit button bits missing

Post by Tim Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:24 am

Strangely, if we log into the same account with Chrome or Safari the OLDER POSTS box shows up fine.

Sounds like it may be a bug with certain web browsers on certain accounts. If you have already reported the problem to facebook there is nothing that can be done until they address it Wink
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Older posts and edit button bits missing Empty Re: Older posts and edit button bits missing

Post by NotarySojac Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:38 pm

funnytim wrote:

Sounds like it may be a bug with certain web browsers on certain accounts. If you have already reported the problem to facebook there is nothing that can be done until they address it Wink
I was hoping someone with more Ajax knowledge than I (which would be any at all) would be able to say "ah! That rings a bell - try deleting the facebook.com cookie named lqx." or some such.
I'll let you know if I ever get a reply from them, but more likely one day it will suddenly start working again with no explaination.
NotarySojac
NotarySojac
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:51 pm

I could dare to ask why you do not log in with a Browser you know works ?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by NotarySojac Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:00 pm

ruby1 wrote:I could dare to ask why you do not log in with a Browser you know works ?
Firefox is our browser of choice, but we need to run two separate browsers at the same time (each with a separate FB account) and we can't yet update Ff to the 3.6 builds due to an incompatible Add-In. Running two separate instances of Firefox is not a very good solution on our Macs.
Safari has all sorts of issues when it's running big Flash apps and its key-commands are sort of the reverse of what Firefox's are so lots of tabs & windows get accidentally closed when we toggling between Firefox & Safari. Google Chrome is pretty good, seems to deal well with the Flash monster, and it's key-combos are the same as Firefox, so Chrome & Firefox is what would be perfect except for this monkey wrench the FB devs threw in the mix a few weeks ago.
NotarySojac
NotarySojac
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Older posts and edit button bits missing Empty temporary workaround

Post by NotarySojac Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:06 pm

NotarySojac wrote:
funnytim wrote:

I was hoping someone with more Ajax knowledge than I (which would be any at all) would be able to say "ah! That rings a bell - try deleting the facebook.com cookie named lqx." or some such.
I'll let you know if I ever get a reply from them, but more likely one day it will suddenly start working again with no explaination.

Updating Firefox to the latest version we can use (3.0.18) resolved nothing. Nor did deleting all cookies with "facebook" in the name.
HOWEVER - after first clicking the Friends view and then clicking News Feed the Older Posts box returned. I repeated it from a cold Firefox launch and noticed that the URL that this routine puts in the Address field is:

Code:
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=ff#!/?ref=home
Normally, FB's home URL appears to be:

Code:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home
so this additional parameter that this routine sticks in forces the News Feed to display the way it used to.
It's probably just a temporary workaround until the FB developers screw something else up, but we're bookmarking that screwy looking URL so the News Feed will work.
NotarySojac
NotarySojac
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:56 am

If you are seemingly being navigated to a 'different' URL to the one you input , are you sure you do not have an infection on the computer ?

What protection do you have on there and when did you last update it all and run full computer scans ?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by NotarySojac Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:48 am

ruby1 wrote:If you are seemingly being navigated to a 'different' URL to the one you input , are you sure you do not have an infection on the computer ?

What protection do you have on there and when did you last update it all and run full computer scans ?
It's a Mac. The only virus we ever had was WDEF in 1987.

The Older Posts issue has finally been acknowledged by the FB folks and they've posted a bug report page here:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It is definitely tied to a specific FB account. We installed Firefox 3.0.18 on another Mac and went to all our FB accounts. All displayed properly except that one account.
NotarySojac
NotarySojac
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:59 am

I admit that reviews suggest that the Mac is less prone to virus attack

However, that does not really eliminate from the equation the need for antivirus protection on it

If you have no antivirus protection on there you have no program to flag any potential virus problem .....

what other protection programs are on it ?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:59 pm

In addition, if you have reported the bug then you will likely have to wait until they resolve the issue on their end.
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum