Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Option: Shutting off the viewing of Signatures?

+2
Admin
tgm1024
6 posters

Go down

Option: Shutting off the viewing of Signatures? Empty Option: Shutting off the viewing of Signatures?

Post by tgm1024 Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:44 pm

The signatures on each post IMO command a ridiculously large amount of space; even the surrounding white space I believe is excessive. This makes viewing a thread particularly difficult. Especially on notebooks, where the vertical pixel famine is notorious.

Will there be an option to shut these off?
tgm1024
tgm1024
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Option: Shutting off the viewing of Signatures? Empty Re: Option: Shutting off the viewing of Signatures?

Post by Admin Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:51 pm

I kinda agree and disagree with your point of view, at the same time.

It's true that some of them make the general layout mess up. But, like in every forum, members are allowed to have signatures.

How about limiting the number of characters/images you can use on it? that may solve the excessive space problem Happy
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Option: Shutting off the viewing of Signatures? Empty Re: Option: Shutting off the viewing of Signatures?

Post by Ruby Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:52 am

tgm1024 wrote:The signatures on each post IMO command a ridiculously large amount of space; even the surrounding white space I believe is excessive. This makes viewing a thread particularly difficult. Especially on notebooks, where the vertical pixel famine is notorious.

Will there be an option to shut these off?

I too had been thinking along similar lines

however, you may wish to know that each Member on here has the option to not display their signature , which 'option' you can activate each time you post by looking at the 'attach my signature' and unchecking the relevent box before you post
such as I will do with this to show you

also; be aware that not all forum will allow signatures; on computer forums I belong to and others they are not permitted as they are considered as unnecessary and really ..yes..a waste of precious server space
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by tgm1024 Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:15 pm

I know people can opt out of having their own signatures, but that's not the problem.

The problem is that given that people have signatures, it makes navigating this forum very difficult.

I have belonged to very many forums over the years, most of them phpBB based, but many of them not. And I can't think of one off the top of my head that doesn't allow me to shut them off.

This is getting a little too clumsy on a notebook. The loss of space coupled with the crippled scrolling (on every browser) makes me need to go elsewhere. So'k, not every implementation is good for everyone. Take care.
tgm1024
tgm1024
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaynil Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:41 am

Yeah, it would be useful that they allowed us to select if we are okay with seeing overall signatures or not. But I understand this is a forumotion /php issue and not the board staff.

Too bad you can't enjoy your stay because of it, TGM1024. Sad
Kaynil
Kaynil
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Fri May 07, 2010 1:37 pm

As a matter of interest, as the subject has been raised ,

Does anyone else have any strong ( or not so strong )opinions on whether to have nor not to have signatures?

What is your experience on other sites with this issue ?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousUser Sat May 08, 2010 3:05 am

If your complaining that the forum is laggy because of the signatures, I must disagree... The reason the forum is laggy is because there are images that link to other domains. And the more HTTP requests there are, the slower the site is.

Its relatively simple, if all the images went to tinypic, I could probably say the forum could increase by 5% to 20%. And if the CSS backgrounds were compiled into a CSS spirit, then the forum could possibly increase by 10%. If your running Internet Explorer 6, I can only say that this forum will never be fully enjoyable.

So, the forum should try moving the images to one image host, streamlining the CSS, and attempt to create one to four CSS spirits, the forum would increase up to 40%.

-worth a thought... Wink
AnonymousUser
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by iJerick Tue May 25, 2010 12:38 am

i think it will go more faster if you buy your own host.. So you can host all of your image/scripts and etc. it will be more faster than ever..
iJerick
iJerick
SN Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 25, 2010 12:52 am

Well guys, let's remember what's being discussed here is the possibility to shut down signatures and not the forum's speed. We'd love to listen to your ideas to make the forum compatible for all computers and browsers in this topic.

Regards,
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down