Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two identities on same computer ? how

3 posters

Go down

Two identities on same computer ? how  Empty Two identities on same computer ? how

Post by ktuddenham Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:21 am

My wife and I share the same computer and she has just joined Facebook.
The problem is when she signs in it always brings my Facebook up. she has a differant username and password, also ghe is with Gmail and I am with yahoo. How can we stop this happening, HELP please.
Ken

Last edited by Ruby on Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Topic title clarified)
ktuddenham
ktuddenham
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Two identities on same computer ? how  Empty Re: Two identities on same computer ? how

Post by Ruby Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:49 am

Moved from Facebook General to Facebook support Privacy ( pro temp)

I am going to ask if you are sure you do sign out of Facebook or do you leave your Facebook log -in in on the computer?

Also; on that computer do you have the same basic computer log in or do you each have your own separate log ins ( for Privacy's sake)?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Two identities on same computer ? how  Empty Re: Two identities on same computer ? how

Post by ktuddenham Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:59 am

I do log off whwn I finish so as the wife can use it.

When either of us wants to use the computer for everyday use like writing letters we have a master username and password.
ktuddenham
ktuddenham
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:03 am

I am going to ask what protection do you have on the computer and when was it all last fully updated?

I assume she has created a completley different Facebook Identity from yours ?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ktuddenham Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:26 am

Yes the wife has a Gmail ID and I have a Ymail ID
With regards to protection do you mean security, I have Microsoft security.
ktuddenham
ktuddenham
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:56 am

This

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

is the URL for Facebook

When you log in there do you recognise your account?

Is it definitly yours?

What windows version do you have and if it is XP do you have all your Service Packs on there including SP3?

When you navigate to any sites do you end up on that site or you you get redirected to other sites?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ktuddenham Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:35 am

When I log on it recognise my account but when the wife logs on it is mine that it recognises and not hers.
We run Windows 7 and it is up to date.
It is only when the wife logs on and gets my account do we get directed to other sites.
Ken
ktuddenham
ktuddenham
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:35 pm

ktuddenham wrote:When I log on it recognise my account but when the wife logs on it is mine that it recognises and not hers.
We run Windows 7 and it is up to date.
It is only when the wife logs on and gets my account do we get directed to other sites.
Ken

This I fimd a bit intriguing...

she logs in on the same computer as you, with the same basic log in you both have, then when she gets to try to log into Facebook she gets redirected to other sites

Did I understand that correctly?

But when you log into Facebook but still on the same main basic computer log in , you do not get redirected to other sites?

What computer protection is on there antivirus- wise?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ktuddenham Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:37 am

WE only have 1 computer which for everything except facebook we use one username and password it is only facebook where we use differant one's as I said mine is ymail and the wifes is gmail. When I sign on no problem but when the wife signs on up comes mine. We have tried another email address but the same thing happens. As regards virus protection I have 2 which I use One is Microsoft essentials and the other is AVG
ktuddenham
ktuddenham
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:56 pm

As regards virus protection I have 2 which I use One is Microsoft essentials and the other is AVG

In which case it is exteremely possible you have an infected computer as in the Computing World the remit is to have only one installed Antivirus program

I strongly suggest you uninstall one of the programs , reboot the computer, and fully update the remaining program

Then reboot again and run the program on a full computer scan and see what infections it finds

You can also run both of these

Superantispyware

Next run Superantisypware (SAS):

Download and scan with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Free for Home Users

• Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates".

• In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):

• Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

• Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.

• Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.

• Click Close to exit the program.

………………………………………………………………………….

Please download [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and save it to your desktop.MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

• Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

• If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.

On the Scanner tab:

• Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:

• Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Running all thot lot may take several hours but do try them; Also do be advised that with all scans they are run at the computer users risk

Let us know how you get on please
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:39 pm

Which one antivirus program do you now have installed please?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Two identities on same computer ? how  Empty Re: 2 Identities

Post by ktuddenham Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:16 am

First I must thank Ruby for all the help given me and in answer to your question I am now using AVAST free edition or is there a better free one.
Ken
ktuddenham
ktuddenham
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:24 am

Hi Ken,

Your new topic has been merged with your previous one.

Also, have you tried clearing your brower's cache after logging out, to be sure your browser is getting a new copy of the page from facebook?
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by ktuddenham Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:31 am

What I done over the weekend was to completly clean my hard disk and after I done a reformat I reinstalled everything including face book and it seems to be working OK.
ktuddenham
ktuddenham
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:39 pm

ktuddenham wrote:What I done over the weekend was to completly clean my hard disk and after I done a reformat I reinstalled everything including face book and it seems to be working OK.

YYAAYYY

Gladly sent to solved section
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum