Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unable to log in to Facebook due to Confirm Identity Problem

+3
eclath
Ruby
sethst
7 posters

Go down

Unable to log in to Facebook due to Confirm Identity Problem Empty Unable to log in to Facebook due to Confirm Identity Problem

Post by sethst Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:08 am

Starting a new thread, as I got smacked down for adding my own tale of woe to the one I found by Googling. (To moderator Rudy: Didn't read stickies; registered for an account to reply to the thread I found via Google. Sorry.)

Anyway, presumably this is the correct forum.
My original post:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Not solved, obviously. Also, I see here that I'm not the only one, which makes me feel better. In the even this could be helpful to anyone, my account on Facebook wasn't at the 100% 'complete' status. Has anyone seen a pattern with the accounts that are getting bitten by this? Is it people who were sort of new, or just anyone who didn't have a mobile phone on record with Facebook?

Thus far, I've sent email to the following addresses:

with automated response:
Thanks for your email. We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing these issues with our site. Unfortunately, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] is no longer a supported channel for Facebook help. Please refer to our Help Center for answers to common questions, solutions to technical issues, feedback from other Facebook users, and forms to contact Facebook. You can reach the Help Center by selecting "Help" at the bottom of any Facebook page or going to the following page:

which gave this nice gem of an automated reply:
We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues verifying your account. If you did not receive your confirmation code, please follow the instructions provided after clicking "Never got your confirmation code? Let us know!" at the following page:

(it goes on beyond that) The joke, as most folks reading this'll know, is that clicking on "Never got your confirmation code?" spawns a "Please login dialog" which starts the whole loop anew.

I sent email to: at 14:48, 28 Aug 2010, and got the following canned response:
Thank you for submitting this bug report and taking time to help us improve the site. Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to every bug report individually, but we are reading them.

with no follow up.

Used another form on Facebook and got: with an auto response, as above.

This is the email from the 'My account was hacked page':

As far as I can tell, there's no real person answering anything.

The reason for this post is to add my voice to the din of those having trouble. Thanks.

Edit: I've tried the suggestions of the stickied posts in this forum.
Also, I tried connecting with the lowest common denominator... fresh system install (vm) with Internet Explorer, that had never touched Facebook. So, it's certainly nothing on my end, or, likely, anyone else's. Which is good, or bad, I guess, depending on how you look at it. ;-)

Last edited by sethst on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding what I've tried.)
sethst
sethst
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Unable to log in to Facebook due to Confirm Identity Problem Empty Re: Unable to log in to Facebook due to Confirm Identity Problem

Post by Ruby Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:12 pm

Thank you for letting us know what you have so far tried

These seems to be no one simple solution to this problem and you are welcome to look in the Facebool Help Centre for any link you may think useful

If you find a solution for you please let us know .....
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Unable to log in to Facebook due to Confirm Identity Problem Empty Re: Unable to log in to Facebook due to Confirm Identity Problem

Post by sethst Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:07 pm

I notice there's a new link, "Or use a different verification method."

However, clicking on it just ... does nothing. (Clean system to make sure).
sethst
sethst
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by sethst Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Reading the stickies, since threads that aren't updated are being moved, doing a cursory update here: I've been trying at least 4-5 times a day to log into the Facebook account, with no luck. I've not gotten any replies to any emails sent directly to addresses posted in the stickies; only canned responses from emails sent with Facebook's forms.

I'm very slammed with deadlines (no holiday weekend for me, this year...) but when I've a moment, my next thought is to see how one submits 'leads' to sites like The Register and Wired. Considering the amount of negative publicity surrounding the Facebook Names torrent, which is 'working as intended', I'd think maybe some public backlash regarding Facebook's policy of simply killing accounts (or, specifically, thwarting them into limbo) might force an actual acknowledge and response to our problems.

Yes, I know, it's far-fetched, but stranger things have happened; remember, earlier this year, when Facebook had to backpedal on some of its more insidious privacy 'features'?

Perhaps others here, whose problems haven't been resolved, might considered sending their situation to some of the online tech zines, as well?
sethst
sethst
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Unable to log in to Facebook due to Confirm Identity Problem Empty Same https://ssl.facebook.com/roadblock/ problem

Post by eclath Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:51 pm

I've been having the exact same problem, since almost exactly the same time period (8/29/2010).

Had been using Facebook, not a lot, but some for about 5 months now. On 8/27 I was added as an administrator to an Autism Speaks page so that I could post Fundraising events. First attempt to add an event I was locked out of Facebook and encounter this Roadblock screen.

I submitted a bug request to add an alternative to providing a mobile phone number, and shortly thereafter saw the (or use a different authentication method) link appear, but it loops back to the roadblock page. Now my profile is disabled, but I still receive email updates. Very frustrating having been building a portion of our Autism Fundraising around Facebook; the inability to get a solution makes me question why.

Frustrated as I am, I'd still very much like to know if anyone finds a reproducible method for resolving this issue.
eclath
eclath
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by sethst Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:03 pm

I think the only solution truly is to shame Facebook into doing something. It's sad; organizations with ethics and morals don't need to be 'forced' to act in the best interest of their members: In this case, fixing issues plaguing select people for over a week!

Sending to wired.com likely will be more effective than more bug reports. "Facebook hates people with autism! Bans group raising funds!" (Next week on The 'Net: Facebook feeds Temple Grandin to sharks... stay tuned!)

I'm trying to break my irritation with a bit of brevity; the loop for the verification is something even a first year CS major would spot and fix; either Facebook's web staff are completely incompetent, or this is by design.

/rant
sethst
sethst
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Another user says this issue got solved by uninstalling Java from her web browser.

It seems that the problem come from Java and from msn. The solution seems to work for some people : désinstaller JAVA.

Maybe trying that would work? I'm not sure how to uninstall it though, so maybe you can google that up Wink
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Javorko Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:34 pm

I also have this problem.
Have tried everything, even contacted facebook (they answer me once, only once).
After that no response from them.

I can't verify my phone number because I live in Croatia, so I think my account is lost for good (for ever).
Please tell me I'm wrong.

Thanks for your time!
Javorko
Javorko

Back to top Go down

Post by sethst Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:48 pm

Created a fresh VM (XPSP3 with IE8, all updates) and tried logging in with no java installed: Same deal.

Installed Java 6 update 21, and tried logging in: same deal.

Still, good suggestion, and worth a try; thanks for passing it on.
sethst
sethst
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:58 pm

No problem, but just in case it could help, here it is the original post made in French (which explains how to fix this).

Bonjour.

Cette cochonnerie semble provenir de MSN messenger ou Yahoo messenger, en cliquant sur la question, ''est-ce bien votre photo?'' ou quelque chose de semblable... Je ne sais pas si ça va fonctionner, mais ça vaut la peine d'essayer:

Human Confirmation pop-up… Fix
1. Ouvrir Internet Explorer
2. Cliquez sur outils.
3. Cliquez sur Options Internet
4. Cliquez sur Avancé
5. Cliquez sur Réinitialiser

Ensuite allez sur le panneau de configuration.
1. Ajout/suppression des programmes
2. Désinstallez (java™️)

3. Si présent désinstallez Yahoo/MSN messenger

Redémarrer l'ordi.

Translated by Google

Good morning.

This crap seems to come from MSN Messenger or Yahoo Messenger, click on the question,''Is it really your picture?''Or something similar ... I do not know if it will work, but it's worth a try:

Human Confirmation pop-up ... Fix
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click on Tools.
3. Click Internet Options
4. Click Advanced
5. Click Reset

Then go to the Control Panel.
1. Add / Remove Programs
2. Uninstall (Java ™️)

3. If this uninstall Yahoo / MSN messenger

Restart the computer.

Much better explained Tongue Let me know if you have any luck Wink
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by sethst Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:05 pm

Ah, that seems to be helpful for people having trouble with the image verification, more than the mobile stuff. Just a note, my VM is ultra-virgin: JUST base XP, plus only needed services... so certainly no MSN messenger or stuff like that!

If this goes on too much longer, I'll make time not only to send email to any online tech zines who are having some slow news days, but also to set up a quick VM to start looking at how FB handles its log in security; just because this level of incompetence annoys the hell out of me.
sethst
sethst
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by eclath Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:13 pm

Just finished the Java idea myself. Same result as sethst; ditto on the good idea. I even added an exception to allow facebook.com for pop up settings, but now I just get a looping pop up window that says I'm not logged into Facebook. Sadly, there appears to be a definite a gap in the development/implementation process. As someone who recommends solutions to customers, I always question the wisdom of using a business whose support is largely or wholly inaccessible. Makes me wonder about the "business" accounts that pay for advertising. Do they have any different support, since they're paid?
eclath
eclath
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by sethst Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:18 pm

I was wondering about paid accounts, myself, especially in light of them tossing an admin for an autism group; I don't know how timely his stuff is, but I'm sure there are many people involved in activities where time is relevant; even if we're just talking musicians needing to post upcoming shows, authors needing to let their fans know about book signings, etc.

From the others posting here, it's obviously hitting real people, not 'fake accounts', and some people who use Facebook for more than just playing the Zynga games.

Just an FYI for folks trying to find solutions, at this point, I've tried IE7 and IE8, Firefox 3.6.3, Opera, and Chrome; all fresh, with and without java. Disabling javascript yeilds no love; disabling cookies yields an error message to enable them.
sethst
sethst
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Unable to log in to Facebook due to Confirm Identity Problem Empty Some similar threads

Post by eclath Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:40 pm

The thread posted here :
describes almost the exact same sequence, in almost the exact same time period, 8/27/2010 (which happens to be the day that I was added as an admin). Unfortunately, it's unclear as to whether a solution was ever found.
This thread :
Describes an actual resolution; but without a reproducible method. Another more detailed thread with the same person explains that the solution was on Facebook's side, but, again, no idea of how to actually reach the right people. I can't send a Private Message, but if someone else can, maybe Betty can provide some more insight.
eclath
eclath
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:18 pm

eclath wrote:The thread posted here :
... I can't send a Private Message, but if someone else can, maybe Betty can provide some more insight.

I wish I could help solve your problem. I can share more detail of what happened to me. Read this entire thread:

It really is a Facebook problem. Just keep sending brief emails to FB until you hit a "home run".

Good Luck! ... Betty
Betty
Betty
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by eclath Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:21 pm

I had seen that thread once but then couldn't find it again. Thanks Betty! Happy
eclath
eclath
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Unable to log in to Facebook due to Confirm Identity Problem Empty Deluge this form for results?

Post by sethst Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:27 pm

I sent my daily bug report via the login issue form; I got a response back:
The Facebook Team
sender-time Sent at 15:20 (GMT-07:00). Current time there: 2:23 PM. ✆
reply-to The Facebook Team
to
date Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 15:20
subject Re: Confirm Facebook Account
mailed-by support.facebook.com
signed-by support.facebook.com
Hi,

Please reply to this email to verify that you are the owner of the account that you referenced in your Facebook support inquiry. This security step must be completed before Facebook can respond to your inquiry. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If this email address is not associated with your account, please reply to this email from an email address that is associated with your Facebook account, ensuring that this email is in your response (this may require you to copy and paste this text if your email client removes this email from your reply).

Thanks,
The Facebook Team

Of course, because this is Facebook, here's the response I got (I replied that this email is mine, and that many others are experiencing the exact same issue as I am):
This is the mail system at host tps012.sf2p.facebook.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

: Command died with status 1: " /usr/local/bin/php
/var/www/tps/scripts/tps_post_script.php --queue 5 --class
ExternalMailHandler --aggregate team --url tps-ape.facebook.com
>>/tmp/tps_mail_log 2>>/tmp/tps_mail_log"

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Original-Recipient: rfc822;info@tps.facebook.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: x-unix; unknown mail system error 1

I remain amused.

Edit: I used the Login/Password Bugs submission form. Note, even though I wasn't logged in, it still had my email address, from having tried to log in; the form I used only asked for subject and further description.
Here's the email I got before the one above (the same throughout the week):
from The Facebook Team
sender-time Sent at 13:57 (GMT-07:00). Current time there: 2:33 PM. ✆
reply-to The Facebook Team
to
date Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 13:57
subject Re: LOGIN/PASSWORD-BUGS: Mobile Phone Verification Loop
mailed-by support.facebook.com
signed-by support.facebook.com
Hi,

Thank you for submitting this bug report and taking time to help us improve the site. Unfortunately, we are unable to respond to every bug report individually, but we are reading them.

Screen shots often help our team diagnose problems that users are seeing. If you did not send a screen shot with your report, please follow the directions listed here:

Once you have saved the screen shot, attach it in a response to this email. If your issue is unfamiliar to our team, we may contact you for more details. If we have identified and are troubleshooting your issue, we will not need to contact you for more details. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks,
The Facebook Team

Last edited by sethst on Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding specific form I used...)
sethst
sethst
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by sethst Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Solved.

Today going to log in, I had the option of 'Call back' under text message to phone. There no longer was an 'Add phone'.

I put in my google voice number, and had a voice message from Facebook ( (646)217-0593 ) with a 4 digit pin.

I entered it, and was able to log in to my account.

I didn't make any changes on my end, and the browser is the same. (I should mention my primary os is xubuntu, browser is Chrome.)

So, my thoughts are: If you aren't seeing this fixed for you automatically, then it's likely a single field in their database; if you're unfortunate enough to have put any sort of mobile number. If you didn't ever specify a mobile number, it's some other bug in their craptastic scripting.

Whatever the case, if it's not automatic, send to the log in bug with your problem until you get an email asking you to confirm it's your email being sent to, and then you'll likely get the 'call back' option in a few days.

And, of course, support Diaspora, and help it grow. ;-)
sethst
sethst
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:01 pm

sethst wrote:Solved.

Congratulations on your "Home Run"! LOL! Yay Yay Yay
Betty
Betty
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Vrindavan Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:40 pm

>> my google voice number

how to apply one ?
is it free ?
Vrindavan
Vrindavan
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum