Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Link not showing all the thumbnails

3 posters

Go down

Link not showing all the thumbnails Empty Link not showing all the thumbnails

Post by wizazforum Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi... I have two links to post, and I want the right thumbnail to be shown.

The first one is this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
As you can see if you paste the link in your wall, you can choose the "nature" thumbnail - which is good

However

the second one is this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The page has the same construction and are both .jpg, but I can't see the "skull" thumbnail in the choices - which is bad

Where is the problem? How can I make the skull thumbnail appear?

Thank you
wizazforum
wizazforum
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Link not showing all the thumbnails Empty Re: Link not showing all the thumbnails

Post by Admin Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:11 pm

Try uploading the skull to a different image host (ie. Tinypic), Facebook could be blocking the image since it's named "skull" Wink
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Link not showing all the thumbnails Empty Re: Link not showing all the thumbnails

Post by wizazforum Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:47 am

No that was not the case - I understood FB has some kind of cache - I tried the day after and it worked.

However Since yesterday for the same site it doesn't show anymore any thumbnails!! Even for the links whose thumbnails were accepted before... Sad

Eg. now it doesn't show thumbnails neither for the following link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
wizazforum
wizazforum
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Sometimes you gotta refresh the page several times and then try again.. it's happened to me as well.

However, you can also try to add the image as a background image, with CSS.

Code:
<div style="height:276px;width:369px;background:url(http://wizazforum.pl/content/attachments/85d1283246073-nature.jpg);repeat:no-repeat"></div>

Sometimes the ones added with HTML don't work, but the CSS ones always do for me!
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by wizazforum Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Hi... it's one week already that Facebook is not catching ANY thumbnails from my domain!! ANY ANY, even the ones that it was catching before (no matter what URL/page).

The site looks like ... banned ...

Anybody can explain this?
wizazforum
wizazforum
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:48 pm

Banned? No, Facebook doesn't ban sites thumbnails. If your site was banned from Facebook, when people clicked your site's link it'd take them to the "Page reported as abusive" page Wink

I actually have been having the same issue.. no matter how big the picture is, the thumbnail won't work! And it used to work...

Here's what I found on the Help Center.. hopefully it will work!

If a preview is not displaying correctly for your URL, you may need to contact the webmaster of the site you are trying to share to check whether it meets Facebook's requirements.

In order to generate a Share preview successfully, a website must include the following three meta tags in its source HTML:

< meta name="title" content="Article headline here" />
< meta name="description" content="Article summary here" />
< link rel="image_src" href="http://www.example.com" />

Please make sure that this site includes these tags in the section of its HTML. Also, note that these tags are case-sensitive and URLs must be absolute. For more information, review the "Making sure Share Preview works" section listed [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

If you have determined that this site includes all of the necessary metatags but it is still not generating the correct preview, please submit a report [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

Try adding the meta tags, and in case that doesn't work, report it to Facebook Wink
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by wizazforum Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:53 pm

The problem is that hundreds thousand sites are using the vBulletin script. I tried several of them and they publish the thumbnails. All using the un-edited header tags.

I also tried to put the link rel="image_src" to the images, but it didn't change anything.

How can I report it to FB?
wizazforum
wizazforum
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:57 pm

wizazforum wrote:The problem is that hundreds thousand sites are using the vBulletin script. I tried several of them and they publish the thumbnails. All using the un-edited header tags.

I also tried to put the link rel="image_src" to the images, but it didn't change anything.

How can I report it to FB?

I've already submitted my report [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. Facebook always take fast actions when people send reports properly Wink
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by wizazforum Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Excellent!! Submitted. Thank you. Will I get a notification or any kind of reply?

wizazforum
wizazforum
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:06 pm

I'm not quite sure actually... but I think Facebook will send some sort of e-mail notificating you that they have fixed something, or they will make an official announcement. I suggest you keep trying to add the link preview during this week and see if anything has changed.

Glad I could help!
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Link not showing all the thumbnails Empty Facebook Thumbnails: Fixed!

Post by gnorml Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:21 pm

I was having the same problems and believe I have solved it. I used the "<link " meta tag to point to the image I wanted, but the key is that if you do that FB won't pull any other images as choices. Also if your image is too big, you won't have any choices at all.

Here's how I fixed my site [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
gnorml
gnorml

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:42 pm

Yay, previews for Facebook Forum are back to normal! All images are showing up correctly now, even those that didn't use to be shown!

How about you guys, did you have any luck with it yet? Let us know!
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum