Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VERY STRANGE problem with Facebook Home

+2
liltea
mihayloff
6 posters

Go down

VERY STRANGE problem with Facebook Home Empty VERY STRANGE problem with Facebook Home

Post by mihayloff Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Beginning yesterday, there is suddenly a 'temporary' pane
BTW, in my first post I said it was a "temporary pane"...I meant "stationary"...it appears to be anything but temporary.
that now appears on the right side of the screen one lists about 10 of my friends vertically. The scrollbar doesn't move this part of my browser. I would attach a screenshot if the forum allowed me. When I click on any photo on my Newsfeed, the right scrollbar disappears & I can't scroll to the bottom to read photo comments & must use the arrow. I've asked my friends on my Newsfeed, but non of them have this & have suggested it might be a browser problem & suggested Firefox. The reason I don't think it's the browser is I have a 2nd account where this problem doesn't exist. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one in the world with this problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Mod note ;added in comment from post below for' clarification'

Last edited by Ruby on Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mod note added)
mihayloff
mihayloff
Prospect

Back to top Go down

VERY STRANGE problem with Facebook Home Empty Re: VERY STRANGE problem with Facebook Home

Post by liltea Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Does it look like this? I am having the same issue! It is not browser related or computer related as it happens on any computer! Other people using the same browser as me (IE) do not have the same problem.

Please help.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
liltea
liltea
Prospect

Back to top Go down

VERY STRANGE problem with Facebook Home Empty VERY STRANGE problem with Facebook Home

Post by liltea Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:35 pm

Please help! I also posted this in another topic but not sure if they are referring to the same problem as me. For some reason my Facebook Home page looks like this. When I go to "Edit My Profile" the top menu bar re-appears, but as soon as I go back to my Home page it looks like this again. The Chat box won't collapse and I can't access chat settings. Does anyone know the cause and how to fix this? It is not a browser issue as I am using Internet Explorer and no one else has the problem. It is also not a computer issue because it happens no matter which computer I'm on. It must be a problem that is Facebook related!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

liltea
liltea
Prospect

Back to top Go down

VERY STRANGE problem with Facebook Home Empty Re: VERY STRANGE problem with Facebook Home

Post by Admin Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:12 pm

It seems the part at the top isn't being loaded properly and hence displayed in a different location (right side of the page). There's no facebook logo.

What version of IE do you use (6, 7, 8 or 9)? Have you cleared your cookies and cache to make sure this isn't a browser-related issue?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mihayloff Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:04 pm

Yes, the image above is exactly what it looks like.
BTW, in my first post I said it was a "temporary pane"...I meant "stationary"...it appears to be anything but temporary.
I'm using IE 8. The thing is, if I log out of my main FB account & log into my alternate one in the same exact browser window, the right pain goes away, then returns when I re-log-in to the main account again.
mihayloff
mihayloff
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:18 pm

Hello,

How long has this problem been occuring for?
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by liltea Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:36 am

Tim wrote:Hello,

How long has this problem been occuring for?

A few days - maybe about a week!

Both topics merged. Happy Eyes
liltea
liltea
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:39 pm

Then it could be an application you've recently used, something one of your friends have posted on their newsfeed, or maybe something related to friend requests, chat or messages.

Just to make sure... does that ONLY happen on your homepage, or does it also happen when you visit your profile, a friend's wall, a page, or any other page on Facebook? Also, do you get a "Done, but with errors in the page" message on the left bottom side of IE's window? If so, can you click on it and copy the error details?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mihayloff Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:06 pm

It appears on every page I'm on. BTW, the list of about 15 friends that appears on the pane are links to contact them for text chat...which I never use. As far as apps, I don't use any....I've cleared them long ago.
mihayloff
mihayloff
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by No Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Get a new browser, preferably chrome. If it doesn't work, use the other account.
No
No
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:53 pm

No wrote:Get a new browser, preferably chrome. If it doesn't work, use the other account.
Did you read the thread?

Quote litea
Does it look like this? I am having the same issue! It is not browser related or computer related as it happens on any computer! Other people using the same browser as me (IE) do not have the same problem.
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:37 pm

Alright, alright. To clear things up, this is an account issue and not a browser issue, but it could be a .js file not being loaded or an application, friends post, or a message/chat issue. I'll need to know if IE shows any error messages on the bottom left side of the page. If it does, please copy and paste them here.

The following snippet should hide the Chat Friends List shown on the left side of the page. While on Facebook, delete everything in the address bar, paste this, and hit Enter.

Code:
javascript:document.getElementById('chatFriendsOnline').style.display='none';

Any changes at all? If not, can you please try accessing Facebook through any of the following links and tell me if the same problem occurs then?

URL #1: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
URL #2: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
URL #3: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
URL #4: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mihayloff Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:01 am

Besides the right pane...something new today. On the Newsfeed page, the blue bar across the top is completely blank. No search field, Home, Profile or Account links. I have to go to my profile page to view these now. I cannot use my 2nd account which is a dummy account, because my 250+ friends are on this one. I refuse to believe this isn't fixable. There's a fix out there somewhere.
mihayloff
mihayloff
Prospect

Back to top Go down

VERY STRANGE problem with Facebook Home Empty To "The Listener"

Post by mihayloff Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. The code that you had me paste in the address bar gave me a blank page that had "none" in the left upper corner. As far as the links, the first 3 loaded it correctly until I maximize the page then it returns. I tried turning off chat feature when it's in the small window mode, but couldn't. The third link takes me to an unfamiliar FB log-in page that I didn't want to access.
If you'd like me to post a screenshot, I would, but I don't see an attachment icon above.
BTW, I just realized that the page loads correctly whenever I reduce the window to half size, even without using the link you posted. When I click maximize the problem returns.
mihayloff
mihayloff
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by mihayloff Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:22 pm

I installed IE9 & had same problem as well as other issues unrelated to this, so I uninstalled it & got IE8 back. I now have use of the blue bar across the top, but still have the right pane. I wish I could set my chat to offline, but this pane precludes me from doing this.
mihayloff
mihayloff
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:31 pm

It has to be something Facebook has to look into then, sorry. It might be a piece of code or a malfunctioning profile feature... not sure. Please try to reach Facebook [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and keep the window not maximized until it's sorted out. Wink

BTW, the problem you described a couple posts above could be already seen in your first screen cap. That's why I believe there is something wrong with your friend requests, messages or notifications... probably something at the top.
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mihayloff Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:36 pm

Thank you for the link Listener. The right pane has to do with the FB's chat feature. when I click on the link, it opens a message box.
mihayloff
mihayloff
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Hmm... if you click on the following link, can you click on "Options" and then go offline from the chat? It could make the panel go away at least.

Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mihayloff Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks The Listener...that worked, now I'm offline, but the pane is still there. I submitted a report on the FB tech support link you gave earlier...we'll see what they say.
Thanks again!
mihayloff
mihayloff
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by liltea Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Did anything ever clear this up? Did FB get back to you?
liltea
liltea
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by mihayloff Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:54 pm

They haven't gotten back to me yet, but suddenly this morning, everything's back to normal...the blue bar has the links & the right pane disappeared. I don't know how any of this happened. I think there are just some glitches. I hope FB replies, so that if it happens again, I can understand why & how to fix it.
Thanks
mihayloff
mihayloff
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by liltea Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:13 pm

My problem has also sorted itself out. What a weird bug that was! Oh well Happy Thanks for all your guys' help.
liltea
liltea
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:53 pm

@ liltea: Glad the problem was fixed for you, thanks for the info! Happy

@ mihayloff: Since you're the thread starter, we need to know if this was solved for you too. Wink
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum