Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duplicate names

3 posters

Go down

Duplicate names Empty Duplicate names

Post by Derby Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:46 am

How is it that I see the exact same name on more than one facebook fan page. I would think when you register a new page, facebook would require a unique name. It is confusing to see the name twice (or more).
Derby
Derby

Back to top Go down

Duplicate names Empty Re: Duplicate names

Post by Josh Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:51 am

If they are spelled differently, Facebook will allow the page to become a real fan page.
Josh
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Derby Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:28 am

Thanks for the reply, iFacebook, but I am talking about identical spelling. For instance there are two with the name "Brandon Sanderson". In this case it is the same person but with two different fan pages.

Also, there are 14 with the name of "Derby". This, of course, is of special interest to me. None of these are mine.

In addition to the 14 Derbys mentioned, there are numerous with variations on the spelling and/or additional words added to the name. I realize that these 2 groups are not in conflict with the original 14 mentioned.

I could come up with more examples but I think these two show my point.

Derby
Derby
Derby

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 am

However, If they have different usernames (They can't have the same ones), it's not confussing.

Example,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Derby Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:21 am

I see your point. Still, people might not know the actual username, how would they know which one is the one they are looking for (unless they were referred to it). For instance, I looked at a few of the Derbys (all musicians) and could see no place where the username was displayed.

Thinking on this I think I know the answer to my original question. I suppose with some names being so common (e.g., John Smith, Mary Smith) it was necessary for duplicate display names to be allowed. And I suppose facebook just decided that if they could do that in profiles, they could do it in facebook pages. That’s the price of success.
Derby
Derby

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:25 am

That was to make searchs easier, I guess. Although I do support your idea about not allowing to create pages with the same name.

Sometimes Facebook Search isn't that good...

>>>Assumed resolved; locked and moved

Last edited by ruby1 on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : as stated)
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down