Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quit Facebook Day on May 31st

2 posters

Go down

Quit Facebook Day on May 31st Empty Quit Facebook Day on May 31st

Post by Admin Thu May 20, 2010 7:33 pm

Quit Facebook Day on May 31st 1218nx4That's right people! There's been a huge campaign to make users don't use Facebook on May 31st., and even to make them leave Facebook forever. Read at the reasons below, taken from "Quit Facebook Day"' official website.
Why?
For us it comes down to two things: fair choices and best intentions. In our view, Facebook doesn't do a good job in either department. Facebook gives you choices about how to manage your data, but they aren't fair choices, and while the onus is on the individual to manage these choices, Facebook makes it **** difficult for the average user to understand or manage this. We also don't think Facebook has much respect for you or your data, especially in the context of the future.

For a lot of people, quitting Facebook revolves around privacy. This is a legitimate concern, but we also think the privacy issue is just the symptom of a larger set of issues. The cumulative effects of what Facebook does now will not play out well in the future, and we care deeply about the future of the web as an open, safe and human place. We just can't see Facebook's current direction being aligned with any positive future for the web, so we're leaving.

What should I know?
Quitting Facebook isn't easy. Facebook is engaging, enjoyable and quite frankly, addictive. Quitting something like Facebook is like quitting smoking. It's hard to stay on the wagon long enough to actually change your habits. Having peer support helps, but the way to quit Facebook is not to start a group on Facebook about leaving Facebook.

Part of quitting is understanding the nature of the problem, and there have been a number of recent articles and posts that do a much better job than us at articulating what's wrong with Facebook. We encourage you to read them and form your own opinions. Moving on will be easier to do when you have made a clear and conscious choice about why you'd prefer your online life to be Facebook-free.

What are my options?
There are alternatives to Facebook. Understanding what is best for you will depend a lot on what you need out of your social graph on a daily basis. For some, a combination of services like email, Twitter and Flickr might work. For others, a Ning group or a specialized social site like Akoha might be an option. If the entire population of Brazil can use Orkut, we think that there's hope for you to find a new home on the web. Wired, ReadWriteWeb and others have recently called for an open alternative to Facebook, and we're personally excited about the potential of the Diaspora project. At the moment, there aren't a lot of great options for direct replacement, but know that you're not alone. When there's a market need, it's not long before better options appear. In our minds, the best thing to do is to contribute to that need - and that's what Quit Facebook Day is about.

I'm completely against it. Facebook is a free social network designed for people to have fun and to stay in touch with their friends, what makes them think people are going to quit using it? Nobody is going to care about it. If people are happy using Facebook, why shouldn't they use it? As long as we aren't 24 hs. of the day on it, we should always be allowed to use it. That's my point of view.

Are you going to participate? Do you think it'll be better if people stop using Facebook for at least 1 day?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Quit Facebook Day on May 31st Empty Re: Quit Facebook Day on May 31st

Post by Tim Thu May 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Most of the people complaining about Facebook's privacy are likely the ones who put everything on it. Well, I don't think it's smart advertise EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) anywhere, let alone a social networking site. Don't want random strangers contacting you? Set your privacy settings higher, it's not that hard.

This article, in my opinion, is blown way out of proportion. If you're addicted to it (similar to, in the article's own words, smoking), can't stop, and can't control yourself, you might need to see someone.

This post may be slightly biased as it's coming from a facebook forum Tongue, but that's my opinion. Friendly debates welcome Happy
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down