Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting Started With Facebook;want to change some things but don't know how to

3 posters

Go down

Getting Started With Facebook;want to change some things but don't know how to  Empty Getting Started With Facebook;want to change some things but don't know how to

Post by Nature-Talk Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:44 am

Hi all, thanks for this forum. I've come here in the hope you will become my Facebook gurus, as I am definitely in need of guidance.

Briefly, I'm a programmer and very experienced with some aspects of the net, but am clueless about social sites, including Facebook. I don't even get what's fun about it, that's how at the beginning of this I am. Very Happy

I have a Facebook account, which I've used a bit. I've decided that general purpose chit chat isn't really for me, and so my goal now is to introduce my nature site to Facebook users, network with other nature publishers, and become part of whatever nature related communities exist on Facebook.

Ideally, I would like to re-start from scratch, erasing my current account which is built upon my personal name, and start again with a Facebook page focused on my nature site. I have no clue whether this is possible, or how to do it.

My goal is to have a Facebook page which is exclusively about nature. I'm happy to make friends, and have friends content posted on my wall, so long as their content is also nature-centric.

What I want to avoid is a Facebook wall with random comments from many people on many different topics.

Ok, that's enough to get started. I'm starting at the very beginning, so please understand I won't be offended if you give me the most basic Facebook advice.

Many thanks for your wise guidance!

Phil

Moved from Facebook General to Facebook Support other problems ( pro temp...see how this 'develops')

Title expanded for clarity

Last edited by Ruby on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:53 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : as stated)
Nature-Talk
Nature-Talk
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Getting Started With Facebook;want to change some things but don't know how to  Empty Re: Getting Started With Facebook;want to change some things but don't know how to

Post by Admin Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:13 pm

Welcome to Facebook Forum! We hope to help you out Wink

Basically, you want to create a Fan Page without creating a Personal Account, or a new Personal Account that is for nature purpouses only?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Getting Started With Facebook;want to change some things but don't know how to  Empty Re: Getting Started With Facebook;want to change some things but don't know how to

Post by Nature-Talk Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:07 pm

Hi Listener, thanks for your reply.

I guess so, I don't really know what "Personal Page" or "Fan Page" mean, what the difference is, etc.

I'll explain it this way.

I want a page that contains links to nature content on my site, and other nature sites. I want to make friends with other people on Facebook who are doing the same thing, and would be happy to have their postings appear on my page as well.

When people search for nature related topics on Facebook, I would hope they find my wall.

A page (I guess this is called "wall") that's all about nature, and which serves to introduce my site to FB users.

The page would be about nature more than me, but I'm not trying to be anonymous.

If FB limits users to one account, I want my account to be about nature, and don't need another account that is about me personally.

Hope this clarifies what I'm hoping to do.

Thanks again.
Nature-Talk
Nature-Talk
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:18 pm

Then a personal profile seems fine. Just register on Facebook first, then start adding friends. However, I doubt the search thing could be done. You'd need to create a "Group" for that.

Which one would you prefer, Fan Page, Personal Page or Group?

A Fan/Like Page is what people can "Like" to show up on their wall and their friend's homepages. Admins are anonymous and Fans can post on these pages, as well as upload photos, videos, etc. Example of a Fan Page [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

A "Group" is kinda more "private"... a mix between Fan Pages and Personal Profiles. In a group, admins aren't anonymous, and you can also hire "Officers" which would be "Moderators" for this group. A great feature that comes with groups is that you can message all your members at the time, which os impossible for both Fan Page and Personal Profile. An example, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Finally, the personal profile is what you get when you register at Facebook. It's highly private and can be controlled by privacy settings. Not recommended for businesses.

So, which one would you like to choose? Happy Eyes
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nature-Talk Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:54 pm

Many thanks for your reply.

Ok, I used your post do some research and reading, and came upon this, which is hopefully up to date.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My first impression is that the overall design of Facebook is a hopeless muddle, and so it's explosive popularity is a quite interesting puzzle.

Before diving in to this, perhaps I should back up and ask some better questions.

I have a clear goal, drive traffic to my site.

I _love_ forums, but just don't care for social sites. The only reason I'm considering FB is for marketing.

Am I going to be able to accomplish my goals on FB, and if so, how exactly?

For me the questions boils down to time management. Where will I get a better return for a unit of invested time? On FB? Or by using that same time to add content directly to my site, and get more traffic from search engines?

I realize there is no simple perfect exact answer to this, and so would invite you to comment in whatever way seems appropriate to you.

Thanks!

Nature-Talk
Nature-Talk
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:00 pm

I highly recomment Fanpages, then. I use it for this site and every time we update, we post a link to a topic here, and it appears on every fan's homepage, so we get more traffic.

To get started creating a page, go to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and click on "Create new page". Choose the "Community Page" option and then, to get started editing the page, click on "Edit page" below the page's photo.

Any further assistance you need, please let me know and I'll be happy to help.
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nature-Talk Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks again Listener. Love your avatar by the way, used to play a lot, but these days I'm a listener too.

Ok, you guys are FB experts, and you're doing what I want to do. So, how's it working out? Anything you can share about traffic from FB to this site will be read with great interest here. I've decide I'm going to research the marketing part of this in greater detail before diving in to FB technology etc.

A technical question about Fanpages. If I were a fan of yours, all your updates would appear on my wall, thus introducing you to my friends? Right?

Would my updates appear on your wall too?

Nature-Talk
Nature-Talk
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:32 pm

Thanks for the compliment, but I just changed it Tongue

You're mixing 2 different concepts here: walls and homepages. Wall is where your friends can write and post things for you to read. you go there my clicking the "Profile" tab and then the "Wall" tab.

Homepage is where you get all your friend and fanpage's updates. you access it by clicking the "Home" tab.

Let's suppose I'm a fan of your page. All the updates you post from your Fan page will be shown on my homepage, under the name of your page.

And "Updates" are messages that can be access via Messages -> See All -> Updates. These updates can be sent by going to your page > Clicking "Edit Page" > Update to all fans.
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nature-Talk Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Phew, I'm glad I got here just in time to see the old avatar! :-) Are you a player? I used to be, and had a home recording studio etc, so these things interest me.

What do you think of this plan?

I think I need to research this on marketing forums, and spend more time actually using FB, before taking up a lot of your time with technical questions about FB.

Unless you disagree, I'll be back when I've done my homework.

Happy pickin.
Nature-Talk
Nature-Talk
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:50 pm

LOL, I'm not, I'm just a music lover Tongue

Sounds good. If you need any more help, let me know Wink
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:20 pm

So that Members know which topics still require assistance, would you please let us know within 3 days if this is still a problem

If no reply is received this thread will be Locked and Moved to Solved without further notification; thanks

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down