Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Huge Facebook Banner Ads

3 posters

Go down

New Huge Facebook Banner Ads Empty New Huge Facebook Banner Ads

Post by benwades Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:50 pm

This past couple of weeks i've been noticing these huge banner ads on the top and left of my profile. Like the really gawdy ones on crappy sites with annoying banner ads. This happened about 1-2 weeks ago and no one is talking about it. Am I the only one that has these and if so, is my account highjacked with spyware or something. It just seems really lowend advertising compared to the past with the more tasteful ads on the right column. It happened after I tried to add a background to my band's site. But now all of my facebook accounts have these ads after I login. Let me know if anyone has any insight on this.

Thanks,
Ben
benwades
benwades
Prospect

Back to top Go down

New Huge Facebook Banner Ads Empty Re: New Huge Facebook Banner Ads

Post by benwades Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:57 pm

update, now the banner ads are blank or white with no ads but has a big white space now. Here's an image
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Notice the big white space at the top. It used to have ads now it's blank and always loads now. I just hope it's not something on my computer or something in my account. If it's just an ad space, i'll live with it, but if there's a way to get rid of it, that would be awesome!
benwades
benwades
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:16 pm

Moved from General to Facebook Support Other Problems

What scans have you run on the one computer you use to access Facebook to check for any infections?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by benwades Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:19 pm

I use avast, and microsoft essentials and the windows firewall for protection. I'm getting a clean scan. So you're saying this is not normal?
benwades
benwades
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:28 pm

It seems you have both Avast and Microsoft essentials ?

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.

So you have two antivirus programs on there so you are probably infected

I strongly suggest you remove one of them

then run a full scan with the one remaining program plus these two scans

Taken from Malwarebytes web site
‘Support for Windows 2000, XP, Vista, and 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)’.

Disclaimer; Run at your own risk

Please download [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and save it to your desktop.
MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes , they may interfere or alert you.

• Make sure you are connected to the Internet to be able to install and update the program

(MB once the program has updated please disconnect from the Internet and run the scan while off- line )

• Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.

• When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

• Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.

• If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
On the Scanner tab:

• Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:

• Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Taken from Superantispyware web site
Compatibility
‘SUPERAntiSpyware.com software is compatible with 2000, XP Home/Professional, 2003, Server 2008, Vista and Windows 7.

SUPERAntiSpyware is provided as a native 32-bit application and a native 64-bit application. The installer will install the proper version for your operating system.

We offer an older version 4.24 that works with Windows 98, 98SE, and ME.’

Disclaimer ;Run at your own risk

Next run Superantisypware (SAS):

Download and scan with [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates".

NB; this program should be run while off line so once updated please go off line to run the scan

• In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Run correctly this scan may take up to 8 or more hours to run so be patient

You are strongly advised to make sure you take a System Restore point prior to this activity
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by benwades Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:42 pm

I installed both to make sure my system would be clean. So Why would I be infected if I have 2 anti-virus programs scanning? Both are scanning as clean.
benwades
benwades
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:53 pm

What browser do you use? Have you recently installed any extensions/scripts/plugins?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by benwades Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:37 pm

I've tried all different browsers and they all have the same thing going on. Also, thanks for taking the time to help me with this. I just hope it's nothing too serious and if so we can prevent it from happening for other users. So I take it no one else has experienced this??
benwades
benwades
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by benwades Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:38 pm

btw, i've tried safari, chrome, IE, firefox. I'm about to try it on a different computer too soon. I'll get back with you on that. that will tell alot.
benwades
benwades
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:19 pm

Please check the list of installed programs in your Control Panel, and see if there's anything unusual or that could be related to that. Also, do the scans Ruby asked you to, this could be a virus or some malicious spamming thing that got in your PC, for X reason.
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by benwades Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Ok, I ran all the spyware/malware/virus utlities and again...my system was clean from that aspect, but I figured it out....

there was a browser extension/addon called "Web Enhancements" v1.0. It was installed on all of my browsers. I don't know how I got it in all of my browsers considering I just use one browser, but I must have installed it voluntarily yet not knowing it was spyware/ads. I've removed it from all my browsers and facebook is back to normal. I'd say stay away from it and make a note of it to the community.

Assuming all of these malware anti spyware programs Do Not scan/investigate browser extensions/addons? Shouldn't they start doing that? Just a thought.

Let me know if anyone has any other feedback on this.

Thanks Everyone for your help!
benwades
benwades
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:01 am

Moved from Other to AR

Do you still require help with this as there have been no replies or contributions on this thread for several days ?

If you do not reply to this thread within the next 3 days we will assume you have abandoned your request for help , and this thread will be Moved to the Abandoned threads section without further notice .

If you are not the thread starter please do not post for any help or support on this thread
Thanks for your co-operation and understanding !

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down