Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Facebook Account + Linked Hotmail account hacked

2 posters

Go down

Facebook Account + Linked Hotmail account hacked Empty Facebook Account + Linked Hotmail account hacked

Post by flysman Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:51 pm

Hello all,
I'm having the same problem with many people as I realized by reading this forum. I had been reading this section for a few days, in hope that I will find a solution from another thread. Anyway, here's the case:
On tuesday 28th June I was online on facebook, when I got up from my computer to talk to the phone. After about 30-40 minutes I went back to my computer and when I refreshed my FB profile page, I got the message that I must be logged in to continue. (note that I was alone at home that time). I found it a bit weird, so I tried to re-login, only to get the message that I'm using an old password and that my password has been changed during the time I was talking to the phone. Following the provided links I sent a reset code to the hotmail account I'm using for facebook, but when I tried to login to Hotmail, I realized that my password has been changed there too.
I tried to regain access to my hotmail account first but all efforts went in vain (my security question has been changed, the linked e-mail never gets the reset code). I already got in contact with hotmail to tell them the story, they answered pretty fast but they said that they can't validate that I'm the real owner and they suggested me to create a new hotmail account!
Back to facebook, I used the "reset password through friends" method, did all the steps like instructed, entered a new password and had to wait for 24 hours for my account to be available again. After 24 hours, the new password has been changed again! And according to the time in the red message, it has been changed exactly 24 hours and 1 minute after I enetered the new password! Anyway, followed almost any instruction I got from facebook help, including reporting that my account has been compromised, and sending a feedback form with all the details of the situation plus screenshots, never to get an answer back. After 2 days, I tried to use the "reset password through friends" process again but since then I always get the message that I've been "asking for reset far too often, please come back later", even if I ask for it less than one every 24 hours (in the facebook help it says that you have a 1 per 24hour limit).
Browsing this forum I found a link provided for resetting password, I used it and it seemed to work (it actually sent the reset password mail to the gmail account too, the one not linked with facebook, but used after I lost control of my hotmail to contact facebook!), but when I enetered the new password it said it's not correct.
To conclude, it's been a week now and any effort to get my facebook account back failed. Do you have any ideas?

Since I know you'll be asking, I'm using a licenced AVG Internet Security 2011, and already did a scan that found nothing. Later today I will be doing both the scans you suggested in some similar posts and I'll post the logs in the next reply.

Thank You in advance...
flysman
flysman
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Facebook Account + Linked Hotmail account hacked Empty Scan results

Post by flysman Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:42 pm

Here are the scan results:

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Generated 07/06/2011 at 08:34 PM

Application Version : 4.55.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 7370
Trace Rules Database Version: 5182

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:41:37

Memory items scanned : 578
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 7547
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 92152
File threats detected : 0

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100

Database version: 7028

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

6/7/2011 8:41:26 μμ
mbam-log-2011-07-06 (20-41-26).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 153461
Time elapsed: 4 minute(s), 46 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

Note that I'm using the latest Mozilla Firefox for internet browsing.
flysman
flysman
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Facebook Account + Linked Hotmail account hacked Empty Re: Facebook Account + Linked Hotmail account hacked

Post by Ruby Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:14 pm

flysman wrote:Hello all,

After about 30-40 minutes I went back to my computer and when I refreshed my FB profile page,

What did you do to refresh the page?

I got the message that I must be logged in to continue.
I assume this was an on screan message?

only to get the message that I'm using an old password and that my password has been changed during the time I was talking to the phone.
Did you gt an email message about this

Following the provided links
Links in what ?

I sent a reset code to the hotmail account I'm using for facebook,
ermmm...why?

but when I tried to login to Hotmail, I realized that my password has been changed there too.
I tried to regain access to my hotmail account first but all efforts went in vain (my security question has been changed, the linked e-mail never gets the reset code). I already got in contact with hotmail to tell them the story, they answered pretty fast but they said that they can't validate that I'm the real owner and they suggested me to create a new hotmail account!

Did you ?

Back to facebook, I used the "reset password through friends" method, did all the steps like instructed, entered a new password and had to wait for 24 hours for my account to be available again. After 24 hours, the new password has been changed again! And according to the time in the red message, it has been changed exactly 24 hours and 1 minute after I enetered the new password! Anyway, followed almost any instruction I got from facebook help, including reporting that my account has been compromised, and sending a feedback form with all the details of the situation plus screenshots, never to get an answer back. After 2 days, I tried to use the "reset password through friends" process again but since then I always get the message that I've been "asking for reset far too often, please come back later", even if I ask for it less than one every 24 hours (in the facebook help it says that you have a 1 per 24hour limit).
Browsing this forum I found a link provided for resetting password, I used it and it seemed to work (it actually sent the reset password mail to the gmail account too, the one not linked with facebook, but used after I lost control of my hotmail to contact facebook!), but when I enetered the new password it said it's not correct.

Odd!!
To conclude, it's been a week now and any effort to get my facebook account back failed. Do you have any ideas?

Since I know you'll be asking, I'm using a licenced AVG Internet Security 2011, and already did a scan that found nothing. Later today I will be doing both the scans you suggested in some similar posts and I'll post the logs in the next reply.

Thank You in advance...

Lets see what we can do for you ?

One question comes to mind...do you have any p2p Programs on there?

This is Facebook log in

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Facebook Account + Linked Hotmail account hacked Empty Re: Facebook Account + Linked Hotmail account hacked

Post by flysman Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:12 pm

Ruby wrote:
What did you do to refresh the page?

I just clicked on the "profile" button so I can refresh my facebook wall page

Ruby wrote:
I assume this was an on screan message?

Yes it was the classic on screen boxed message of facebook (like the one when it's an error etc.)

Ruby wrote: Did you gt an email message about this

I don't know if I got the email, since I wasn't able to login to my email because the password in it has been changed too

Ruby wrote: Links in what ?

I'm using copy-paste to show you exactly: Entered my password-> got this message in the red box:
Sorry! You Entered An Old Password
Your password was changed at: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:01pm

If you don't remember making this change, click here -> I clcked the "click here" link -> I went to that page: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and I pressed the "reset my password" button

Ruby wrote: ermmm...why?

Because when u press the "reset my password" button it takes you to this page: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . I had 2 choices: a) not my account b) send codes and check hotmail. Since this was my account I choose option b.

Ruby wrote:Did you ?

No, I didn't create a new hotmail account, since I don't need a new one. I stopped using hotmail as my main email several years ago. I only had this hotmail account for receiving emails from facebook, and since I can't login to this hotmail account to recover my facebook password, what's the use of making a new hotmail?
I was a bit frustrated at hotmail too, because i told them that someone hacked my password and changed my security question (The question changed to "name of your first pet" but I never had a pet), and they said that they can't validate I'm the real owner because I don't know my security question.

Ruby wrote:Odd!!

What's odd? That I couldn't recover my facebook account through friends? Or that the link I used from this forum sent the email to my gmail account? (The last one seems odd to me too!)

Ruby wrote:Lets see what we can do for you ?

One question comes to mind...do you have any p2p Programs on there?

This is Facebook log in

No, not any p2p programs at all....Haven't used or installed any in this computer since i bought it. And Yes, that's the facebook log in I used too...

P.S: Thank you for your reply ruby
flysman
flysman
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:08 pm

Have you at any time use a public or shared computer to access Facebook ?

Have you ever used an internet cafe to access Facebook ?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by flysman Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:44 pm

I used to own an internet cafe so I was using the computers there to access facebook, but I haven't done that again since December 2010. Since then, I only access facebook from my home desktop, and no one else uses this computer...
flysman
flysman
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:29 am

flysman wrote:I used to own an internet cafe so I was using the computers there to access facebook,

How often ( if at all) did you 'clean 'those computers ? how were they Protected?

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by flysman Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:48 am

I had AVG Internet Security and had all 25 computers under a firewalled router. I ran scheduled scans every night before I close.
But I don't think the problem is from the internet cafe....It's been 7 months since then and I never accessed any e-mail from these computers....
So, since my hotmail password had changed at the same time with my facebook password, and that happened on 28th of June, So it's a bit odd that something "got into" my facebook account, stayed there, and 7 months later it "wakes up" and hacks both facebook and mail....
flysman
flysman
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:32 pm

Moved from Hacked to AR

Do you still require help with this as there have been no replies or contributions on this thread for several days ?

If you do not reply to this thread within the next 3 days we will assume you have abandoned your request for help , and this thread will be Moved to the Abandoned threads section without further notice .

If you are not the thread starter please do not post for any help or support on this thread
Thanks for your co-operation and understanding !

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by flysman Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Actually i haven't found a solution to my problem, so i had to create a new email account and facebook account and now i am in the proccess to notify all my previous friends...Thank you for all your help, if you don't have any other suggestion you can lock or move the thread.
flysman
flysman
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down