Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adding a Link to another facebook account

4 posters

Go down

Adding a Link to another facebook account Empty Adding a Link to another facebook account

Post by AEII Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:12 pm

I have tried to add [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
as a link to our association and it always errors when you click on it in FB. I can use this URL externally from my browsers.

I noticed when the URL is added in FB, it changes the URL radically and then the bad link page appears when it is clicked ?

How do I add a link on my page to the IABA ?
AEII
AEII
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Adding a Link to another facebook account Empty Re: Adding a Link to another facebook account

Post by Admin Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:19 pm

Okay i didn't understand anything...

1. What error does it show when adding the link?
2. How does the URL changes radically?
3. What is IABA?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Adding a Link to another facebook account Empty Re: Adding a Link to another facebook account

Post by AEII Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:34 pm

Ok ... when I post a link in the "My Links" area on my Tony Passwater page:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I post it and the URL that it now attempts to go to when clicked on, changes to:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This brings up the page:
The page you requested was not found.

You may have clicked an expired link or mistyped the address. Some web addresses are case sensitive.

* Return home
* Go back to the previous page

I left it on my page if you want to try it yourself ...

The URL I entered when posting does work externally on web browsers ...

The IABA is the Indiana Auto Body Association in which I am the Executive Director.
AEII
AEII
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Maybe try going to [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and making it shorter. then post it.

Any better?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by AEII Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:31 pm

I tried that first thing after reading the other posts about links.
Didn't work ...

I don't understand what FB does with the URL to create the link ...
I would assume that if it works externally it should work from within facebook ?
AEII
AEII
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Hm, so a URL shortener didn't work, but other links still work?
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AEII Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:11 pm

I don't know if other links actually work ... I have one for my company and it works ...
The syntax is basically just like the one I tried to use for the IABA.

I don't know why a link works externally long or shortened, but goes South when it is attempted to be Posted.
AEII
AEII
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:24 am

Try and see if other links work.

Because of facebook's syntax apparantely there's a problem when it attempts to encode its own links. However when you use a url shortener, such as tinyurl as mentioned above, it should in theory resolve the problem as it gets ride of the 'facebook.com' address in the url.
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AEII Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:15 am

I got it to work by using the shortened URL and leaving off the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] when I initially entered the URL ... FP book then added the [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] appropriately, and did not chnage the URL.

This time it actually went to a cathca screen which it had not done before as well before posting ...
AEII
AEII
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Hm interesting, thanks for letting us know. It works alright now?
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AEII Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Seems to
AEII
AEII
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Hi ; is this still a problem?

No reply; Locked and Moved

Last edited by ruby1 on Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : as stated)
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down