Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Account disabled 419 scam - big misunderstanding?

2 posters

Go down

Account disabled 419 scam - big misunderstanding? Empty Account disabled 419 scam - big misunderstanding?

Post by Proudlimey Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:23 pm

Yesterday I was trying to add a work email to the list of contact emails on facebook, but by mistake I seemed to trigger a request to change my primary email, which I did not want. I have been in Nigeria for 2 weeks, and for the past 4 days in a hotel.

I have since learned that the wifi from the hotel I am currently staying in has some kind of VPN/proxy server that goes through the United Arab Emirates for a reason I don't know (that is why I get Google Arabic as my home page I now know).Am I right in saying that could have triggered the Facebook system disable my account?

I've replied to Facebook with all the relevant details, but reading past threads in this forum they seem to take days to resolve it? Facebook is a lifeline for me out here, so this is pretty annoying. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks,

Toby
Proudlimey
Proudlimey
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Account disabled 419 scam - big misunderstanding? Empty Re: Account disabled 419 scam - big misunderstanding?

Post by Ruby Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:32 pm

OOppss...

Are you now back home and on a safe and secure computer and internet access?

Do you still have access to and can send and receive emails using the email address you have associated with Facebook ?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Account disabled 419 scam - big misunderstanding? Empty Re: Account disabled 419 scam - big misunderstanding?

Post by Proudlimey Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm in the same hotel until friday/saturday, after that I go back to a secure internet connection (still in Nigeria). I still use the same yahoo email that is associated with Facebook, so nothing has changed there and I have never had any problems with it.,

I guess I'm just a bit disappointed with the slow response from facebook, as I rely on it with communication to the outside world. I have already had emails asking why my page has vanished from facebook Sad
Proudlimey
Proudlimey
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:55 pm

If you are now on a computer that is Private, properly Protected and as clean as you know it can be, only used by you ....

Please try this

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But....Until you are on a safe computer there is really no point in trying anything...I guess you see my point?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Proudlimey Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:38 am

Thanks for the link, but I can't get passed the second stage of that because the sending of the verification code to my email always fails.
Proudlimey
Proudlimey
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:41 pm

Proudlimey wrote:Thanks for the link, but I can't get passed the second stage of that because the sending of the verification code to my email always fails.

You can only do this when you are back home, on a known clean private computer and you will need to open the email server and physically check all Folders on the Server for any email from Facebook ; also un-enable your spam blocker for the purposes of this please
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Proudlimey Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:40 am

I leave the hotel tomorrow and am back to the house I am staying in with a secure internet connection, but I am using my own laptop (which I bought under 3 weeks ago), and it has virus protection etc. so there shouldn't be any security concerns there.

What do you mean by opening an email server physically? Can this be done with Yahoo?
Proudlimey
Proudlimey
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:45 am

Proudlimey wrote:I leave the hotel tomorrow and am back to the house I am staying in with a secure internet connection, but I am using my own laptop (which I bought under 3 weeks ago), and it has virus protection etc. so there shouldn't be any security concerns there.

What do you mean by opening an email server physically? Can this be done with Yahoo?

Yes it can

That said, how do you read your emails? On server or do you download them to an Email client?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Proudlimey Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:35 am

Ruby wrote:

That said, how do you read your emails? On server or do you download them to an Email client?

Always on a server. That was actually the question I had in mind as I wasn't sure whether you meant something like Outlook.
Proudlimey
Proudlimey
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:21 pm

Proudlimey wrote:
Ruby wrote:

Always on a server. That was actually the question I had in mind as I wasn't sure whether you meant something like Outlook.

sooo...do what I have done; I use Mailwasher to check mails on server ; open your server and disable the Spam blocker so all mails go into the IN box on server so you can catch any email from Facebook ...
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Proudlimey Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:57 pm

I've disabled the spam blocker, although I always check the spam folder anyway as not a lot comes through to there.

I'm back to my main base in Nigeria now, but this still doesn't work at the sending security code to email stage, perhaps because it identifies my email as one which is 'compromised'?

Other than that I'm shocked that Facebook still haven't even replied after nearly 5 days. It may be a trivial matter for them to put on a queue (I hope they have done that even), but it's a lifeline for me out here.
Proudlimey
Proudlimey
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Proudlimey Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:00 pm

Facebook re-enabled my account again so I guess this topic is solved! Thanks for all the advice.

If anyone is having similar problems and are in despair then don't worry, follow the correct procedures and you will eventually get your account back, you just have to be prepared to wait for it! It was a week in my case, which was pretty sluggish, but what can be done about it?
Proudlimey
Proudlimey
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Proudlimey wrote:Facebook re-enabled my account again so I guess this topic is solved! Thanks for all the advice.

If anyone is having similar problems and are in despair then don't worry, follow the correct procedures and you will eventually get your account back, you just have to be prepared to wait for it! It was a week in my case, which was pretty sluggish, but what can be done about it?

Gladly sent to solved
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down