Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

100% Private/Blind Group - Can Main Account Updates not Be Visible to Group Members

2 posters

Go down

100% Private/Blind Group - Can Main Account Updates not Be Visible to Group Members Empty 100% Private/Blind Group - Can Main Account Updates not Be Visible to Group Members

Post by consultant Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:50 pm

I've got two accounts, the primary account is for family and close friends the other 'high school account' is for high-school classmates. I've learned about the new Group feature and am hoping I can use it to finally have only one account.

First, can I create a group for High School Classmates, and invite them to the group, or do I have to invite them to join the primary account first then add them to the group myself?

Second, after I've added them to the group, is there anyway I can make it so they only see things I post/send to the group and don't see the general wall/status updates for the parent account? Is the only way to do this to customize all by privacy settings and manually select the individual accounts I want to have access to my wall, etc.?

Assuming this is doable, will it be very evident to the people in the group that they are sort of isolated in there and can't see what is going on with the rest of my account? Will they be able to see ALL my friends in the account?

Or is my goal better off served by continuing to maintain two accounts?

consultant
consultant
Prospect

Back to top Go down

100% Private/Blind Group - Can Main Account Updates not Be Visible to Group Members Empty Re: 100% Private/Blind Group - Can Main Account Updates not Be Visible to Group Members

Post by consultant Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Well I created several test accounts and started playing around with this. Unfortunately in the customize Privacy, you can add or exclude individual users but not groups. But I expected this and could manage using the exclude or include feature to achieve what I want.

Here's the problem though. If I create a group High School Classmates, when I add a friend it appears on the left. They can HIDE it I guess. I've seen complaints in discussions already about not having to confirm being added to a group and wouldn't be surprised if Facebook changes this. The major problem is group members can remove themselves. Which I guess isn't so bad. Also the problem is I have to invite people as friends first then add them to the group so I will be getting some ? looks when they think, aren't I already a friend of this guy? But that is also a minor issue.

It seems if my goal is to selecting post updates/links/etc. to two different groups of people it is probably better to retain two accounts. The reason being I would get very limited information about what's going on with people.

Other option is just set privacy settings on per-user basis.
consultant
consultant
Prospect

Back to top Go down

100% Private/Blind Group - Can Main Account Updates not Be Visible to Group Members Empty Re: 100% Private/Blind Group - Can Main Account Updates not Be Visible to Group Members

Post by Tim Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:42 am

Hello,

consultant wrote:I've got two accounts, the primary account is for family and close friends the other 'high school account' is for high-school classmates. I've learned about the new Group feature and am hoping I can use it to finally have only one account.

First, can I create a group for High School Classmates, and invite them to the group, or do I have to invite them to join the primary account first then add them to the group myself?
You can only invite friends on your account to groups, so they will need to be 'friended' with your primary account first.

consultant wrote:
Second, after I've added them to the group, is there anyway I can make it so they only see things I post/send to the group and don't see the general wall/status updates for the parent account? Is the only way to do this to customize all by privacy settings and manually select the individual accounts I want to have access to my wall, etc.?
consultant wrote:
Assuming this is doable, will it be very evident to the people in the group that they are sort of isolated in there and can't see what is going on with the rest of my account? Will they be able to see ALL my friends in the account?
I'm not sure sure what you are trying to accomplish...so you want certain members to be able to see your group posts but not your profile ones? If so, that is not possible; you can only restrict certain accounts from being able to see certain things (as you mentioned).

consultant wrote:
Or is my goal better off served by continuing to maintain two accounts?
Please note that maintaining multiple Facebook accounts is a violation of their terms of service. As such, they may terminate all your accounts at any time if they find out

[quote="consultant"]Well I created several test accounts and started playing around with this. Unfortunately in the customize Privacy, you can add or exclude individual users but not groups. But I expected this and could manage using the exclude or include feature to achieve what I want.

consultant wrote:
Here's the problem though. If I create a group High School Classmates, when I add a friend it appears on the left. They can HIDE it I guess. I've seen complaints in discussions already about not having to confirm being added to a group and wouldn't be surprised if Facebook changes this. The major problem is group members can remove themselves. Which I guess isn't so bad. Also the problem is I have to invite people as friends first then add them to the group so I will be getting some ? looks when they think, aren't I already a friend of this guy? But that is also a minor issue.
You can only add your friends into groups. Otherwise, one would just be able to add random people into random groups which is a sure spell for spamming.

consultant wrote:
It seems if my goal is to selecting post updates/links/etc. to two different groups of people it is probably better to retain two accounts. The reason being I would get very limited information about what's going on with people.

Other option is just set privacy settings on per-user basis.
The latter option would probably be the better choice (in addition to being in compliance with the TOS). You can always restrict things you don't want other members to see by either individual case or by lists.
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by consultant Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:02 am

Lists! That's it. I didn't realize you could control privacy settings for groups of friends by putting them in lists.

Here's an issue though. What if I make a post to my wall that I want everyone to see. I assume you can't override your privacy settings on a post by post basis?
consultant
consultant
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:52 pm

consultant wrote:
Here's an issue though. What if I make a post to my wall that I want everyone to see. I assume you can't override your privacy settings on a post by post basis?

You can control who sees each and every post. Before you post a status update, link or anything else, click the lock icon (located on the bottom right to the left of the 'Share' button) to choose who can see it. What you select will override your "Posts by me" setting, which acts as the default.
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down