Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Picture Tagging Privacy

4 posters

Go down

Picture Tagging Privacy Empty Picture Tagging Privacy

Post by _alphaBeta_ Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:30 pm

I recently noticed that I was able to view a few pictures that one of my friends were tagged in, but the picture was owned by someone I wasn't friends with. It's obvious they have the album restricted because I cannot view any other pictures in that album (the album name is displayed, but is not a link). I was curious how this was so, and if people I didn't know could view my pictures because of tagging.

After some searching around I came across [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]:
Note that if you select the "Friends Only" settings profile in the "Sharing on Facebook" section of your privacy settings, you will have the option to allow friends of people tagged in your photos and other content to view them. For example, this would allow Sally's mother to view a photo of Sally that you posted, even if you aren't friends with Sally's mother.
I understand the concept of what's going on, and I imagine the picture owner has this option on. This option only displays if the "Friends Only" defaults are selected, as the above says. I use customized settings and have no desire to accept the "Friends Only" defaults. I don't see this as an option anywhere in the customized settings, and at this point I can't even tell if it's on for me.

The picture attached shows the option I'm trying to find when using customized settings.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
_alphaBeta_
_alphaBeta_
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Picture Tagging Privacy Empty Re: Picture Tagging Privacy

Post by Admin Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:45 pm

I'm a little lost here... you don't want non-friends to see pictures you're tagged in, or you don't want others to see photos where you tag your friends in?

And BTW, that setting has nothing to do with Photos. That's for statuses where you tag your friends in (ie. @John).
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by _alphaBeta_ Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:56 pm

Examples are best for this.

Person A is tagged in one of my photos, and is my friend.
The album permissions are set to "friends only" let's say.
Person B is friends with Person A, but not with me.
Can person B see the photo?

Before recently I would have said "no," but the original scenario I described had me being person B and I could see all the pictures that person A was tagged in without being friends with the album owner, and without being able to see the rest of the album. How is this possible? I don't think they have the album permissions opened up because I would be able to see the rest of the album otherwise.

Ultimately, I don't want tagging "overriding" my album settings.

According to numerous FB discussions (which is certainly no authority) this option does control picture tagging as well. Those people were looking to open up the picture via tagging and were successful once enabling this option.
_alphaBeta_
_alphaBeta_
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:01 pm

Can person B see the photo?

As long as Person A has the setting "Photos and videos of me" set to "Only Friends", yes, (s)he will. But she won't be able to see photos of your albums where she's not at (so she won't see a link like black text, like you mentioned).
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by _alphaBeta_ Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:07 pm

So there's no way for me to stop friends of people I've tagged in my albums from seeing the picture? Doesn't this go right around the privacy settings I've laid out for the album? Setting the albums to "Friends Only" is misleading if random friends of my friends can still see the photos because of tags.
_alphaBeta_
_alphaBeta_
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:13 pm

I'm with Facebook's decision on this, sorry. It's your friend and not you who decides what to do with a picture where (s)he's in. Even if you're the album owner, if you tag him/her, that's his/her picture from now on.

The setting isn't misleading, however. They won't be able to be the rest of the album, and that's what is important!

Sorry, but privacy issues can be though when you get several people into the same setting.
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by _alphaBeta_ Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:22 pm

Ok, thanks for your speedy replies & explanations. I respectfully disagree with the implementation, especially because I don't think this functionality is made clear enough. The person is in the photo, but it's my photo and should be subject to the permissions I've set. A little note warning people that others may be able to access a photo behind a locked-down album because of tagging would go a long way.

So if my original option I highlighted pertains only to status tags as you say ... is this option in the customized settings?

EDIT: Now I'm really confused. Have a look at these FAQs:

It's important to remember that the "tagging" feature does not allow users to see photos that they wouldn't normally be able to see. If you're able to see photos that a non-friend uploaded through a photo that they tagged one of your friends in, it is because this person has most likely set his or her album privacy to the "Everyone" setting (so that everyone on the site is able to view it).
Please keep in mind that the owner of a photo determines the privacy of that photo. If other users are able to view photos you are tagged in, then it is because the owner of the photos has most likely set the privacy of the photo album so that everyone can see the photos in it. While there is the option to block users from viewing the "Photos of" section on your own profile, there is no way to restrict the visibility of a photo that you are not the owner of.
So perhaps I'm making incorrect assumptions when I started this thread. I can view pictures of my friend tagged in someone else's album, but I can't view non-tagged pictures from that album. If tagging has no effect on the permissions, how does this person have them set up so that I can only see certain pictures? It must be "friends only" or tighter, otherwise I could see the entire album. I'm not a friend, how can I see these pictures?
_alphaBeta_
_alphaBeta_
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by iMeow Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:34 pm

So you'd like to see all pictures? Even though your friend is NOT tagged?
iMeow
iMeow
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by _alphaBeta_ Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:52 am

Actually, I don't want others the ability to see my pictures if their friends are tagged.

I'm just finding that privacy controls are a little misleading in general. My friend commented on a status update of a non-friend and I could see it. I couldn't see any other status updates or their wall, but because my friend commented I could see it. I wasn't aware this kind of sharing was taking place.
_alphaBeta_
_alphaBeta_
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:09 am

Moved from Privacy to AR

I note that there have been no replies on this thread for several days ….

Do you still require help with this ?

If you do not reply to this thread within the next 3 days we will assume your problem was solved , and this thread will be Moved to the Solved section without further notice .

If you are not the thread starter please do not post for any help or support on this thread
Thanks for your co-operation and understanding !

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down