Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Account compromised, went through proper steps to recover account but still locked

2 posters

Go down

Account compromised, went through proper steps to recover account but still locked Empty Account compromised, went through proper steps to recover account but still locked

Post by brittlordy Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:01 pm

A couple days ago my Facebook and Gmail accounts were compromised and emails were sent to everyone I know claiming I was stranded in Paris at gunpoint and asked for $2000 to be wired. Anyway, yesterday I regained control of my facebook and gmail accounts and changed the passwords and security settings. Then today at 4pm I receive the following email on my gmail account from facebook:

"We have locked your account for security purposes. Our systems indicate that your Facebook account may have been compromised by cybercriminals attempting to impersonate you. These criminals often will try to trick your friends into sending them money by claiming that you are stuck in a far away location and need assistance. It is likely that your email account was compromised as well. As such, we have sent this email to all email addresses recently associated with your account. Obtaining access to a victim's email is one of the primary ways these cybercriminals have been operating. Please take the following steps to regain control of your account:
Reset Your Email Passwords: Select new and unique passwords for all of your email addresses. Do not use the same password for different online accounts as this allows hackers to easily gain access to your other accounts, such as Facebook, once one account has been compromised.
Disable Email Forwarding (if enabled): Check the Preferences/Settings of your email account to make sure the scammer did not add any unauthorized forwarding rules to your email. This is becoming a common practice for scammers to use, so it is important that you complete this extra step. If you need further assistance with this please contact your email provider.
After you have performed the above actions, click on the link (labeled 'Proceed to Account Recovery') at the bottom of this email to recover your account. You will be prompted to prove your identity in order to regain access.
It is very important to complete the above steps in order to protect yourself and your friends. Please pay close attention to suspicious activity on your email account. Another individual may be reading and responding to your messages.
Proceed to Account Recovery"

First of all I was thinking how is this happening again!? I tried logging onto my Facebook account and it told me I was locked out but to proceed to the verification process. It showed me various pictures of 4 different friends and asked me to properly identify them, which I did. Then I was told to change my password again, which I did. Then it told me to confirm the email address was secure and that I'd changed that password as well, and then proceed, which I did. Then I tried to log into Facebook again because I assumed everything was now secure but I was told to complete a form for Facebook for further investigation. It had questions asking what my last activity was on Facebook and what email I had associated with my account, etc. I answered everything and then was sent the following e-mail:

from The Facebook Team <info+uopz6uu@support.facebook.com>
reply-to The Facebook Team <info+uopz6uu@support.facebook.com>
to ----------------
date Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 8:19 PM
subject Re: Money Transfer Scam: Account Recovery
mailed-by support.facebook.com
signed-by support.facebook.com
hide details 8:19 PM (38 minutes ago)

"Hi,

We have received your report that your Facebook account is being used for a money transfer scam. It is likely that your email account has been compromised as well. Cybercriminals often obtain access to a victim's email address in order to access their Facebook account.

Once you have secured your email account, respond to this email with a description of the following:

- Your current profile picture
- The most recent activity on your account
- The steps you have taken to secure your email account (do not include password information)

Please respond as soon as possible, as this security step must be completed before we can assist you further.

Thanks,

The Facebook Team"

I responded to their questions and then sent the email. Shortly after I sent it I started wondering if that was a legit email from Facebook or was it from the hacker trying to get more info from me? Anyway, after proceeding through all of the security questions and verifications, whenever I try to log onto my account I get the following message:

"Your Account is Locked Temporarily
Thank you for completing the necessary steps to protect the security of your account.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience, but at this time our security systems are unable to complete the verification of your account.

In order to continue with the account recovery process, please contact our User Operations team."

I already contacted the User Operations team and I'm wondering how long I will be locked out. This is becoming quite a hassle!

Thank you for any help you may be able to give me!
brittlordy
brittlordy

Back to top Go down

Account compromised, went through proper steps to recover account but still locked Empty Re: Account compromised, went through proper steps to recover account but still locked

Post by Ruby Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Please try

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

but I strongly suggest you review how you protect that computer on the Internet

How is it Protected, if at all?

Plus; review the content of
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Account compromised, went through proper steps to recover account but still locked Empty Re: Account compromised, went through proper steps to recover account but still locked

Post by Ruby Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:27 pm

Moved from Hacked to AR

Do you still require help with this as there have been no replies or contributions on this thread for several days ?

If you do not reply to this thread within the next 3 days we will assume you have abandoned your request for help , and this thread will be Moved to the Abandoned threads section without further notice .

If you are not the thread starter please do not post for any help or support on this thread
Thanks for your co-operation and understanding !

Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down