Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wall not visible with New Profile

2 posters

Go down

Wall not visible with New Profile Empty Wall not visible with New Profile

Post by Dora Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm noticing this same thing. I personally had a default setting for my status updates to exclude one group of people (unless I modify it to include that group prior to posting). When FB updated me to the new profile page, someone told me my "wall" had disappeared from my profile, but they could see me posting a lot of stuff in their newsfeed. This was someone who had been part of that excluded list, who shouldn't be seeing those posts in the newsfeed! (nothing bad, it just was intended for specific people... family only). So, previously, she couldn't see those particular posts, but could still see the rest of my wall and other items I posted without that exclusion, but now she can't see my wall at all, but can see ALL of my posts. I tested it by creating a second profile for myself, adding it as a friend to the first profile, and adding it to the excluded list. Sure enough, the wall tab is gone, but the 2nd profile can see all 1st profile posts in the newsfeed that it should be excluded from. ??? Is FB aware that they did this to us? That's messed up.

Post split from thread that is not yours; please do not post on a thread that is not yours unless you seek to give help

Last edited by Ruby on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : split post from hijacking other thread)
Dora
Dora

Back to top Go down

Wall not visible with New Profile Empty Re: Wall not visible with New Profile

Post by Dora Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:34 am

Well, ok. It was the same issue, I was adding more details, and hoping someone would have something to shed light on it, or a suggestion of how to get it fixed by FB since they're also unapproachable. Didn't think I would get my hand slapped for hijacking. But it does help explain why I wasn't seeing much discussion on anyone's threads here. Not much gets solved that way. That's a shame, since we also can't get help on FB.
Dora
Dora

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:08 pm

Dora wrote:Well, ok. It was the same issue, I was adding more details, and hoping someone would have something to shed light on it, or a suggestion of how to get it fixed by FB since they're also unapproachable. Didn't think I would get my hand slapped for hijacking. But it does help explain why I wasn't seeing much discussion on anyone's threads here. Not much gets solved that way. That's a shame, since we also can't get help on FB.

We ask each person to open up a different topic for each problem them have, to give them individual attention. I'm not sure why you say you got your hand slapped, since your post was simply made a new topic: that's part of moderator's work.

If you cared to check the whole Help section, you'll see over 50 people asking all kind of questions everyday here, and a reduced group of people (in which I'm in) that provided volunteer and free help. You won't find ANY other website that does what we do apart from the crappy Facebook Help center where you're lucky to even get a spam reply. We do our best to help with every problem we can, but we're not machines or know-it-alls. Show some respect for that.

___

Check the following privacy settings please.

- Account > Privacy Settings > Customize Settings > Posts by me > Custom > Hide from these people. Make sure it's not set to "Only me".
- Account > Privacy Settings > Customize Settings > Can comment on posts > Custom > Hide from these people.
- Account > Privacy Settings > Customize Settings > Friends can post on my Wall > Enable.
- Account > Privacy Settings > Customize Settings > Can see Wall posts by friends > Custom > Hide from these people.
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dora Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Wow. That is EXACTLY why I was posting on a thread with the same issue as me, because we can all help each other, shed more light on problems, and not rely on one isolated volunteer to find the time to try to solve everyone else's problems.

That said, before posting here, I had already spent a good amount of time exploring my privacy settings and was very well acquainted with how they worked BEFORE FB went to the new profile display.
---I had "Posts by me" set to "Friends only; except XXXXXX", with XXXXXX = a specific group of folks who didn't need to see what I was sharing with family and closest friends.
---I had "Can comment on posts" set to "Friends only", because any posts they could see (I sometimes clicked on the padlock to non-exclude them so they could see the post, and friends could post on my profile without that group being excluded), they were allowed to post on.
---I had "Friends can post on my Wall" set to "Friends Only" as well, for the same reason.
---And I had "Can see Wall posts by friends" set to "Friends Only" because I wasn't as concerned about that, either.

I have 2 profiles, my "real" one and my "test" one. They are friends with each other. I test my settings regularly by adding and removing the "test" profile to various friend groups I've created. And I test it by changing one privacy setting at a time, isolating how each one works.

So again, previously, with my test profile added to my XXXXXX group, I could see my real profile's statuses that were posted to "Friends Only" but couldn't see the statuses that were posted to "Friends Only; except XXXXXX". The latter weren't showing on my profile page and weren't showing in the newsfeed, but anything else that didn't exclude that group was still visible, both on my wall and the newsfeed. It was exactly as I expected. However, when the profile page changed to the new view, my "test" profile could no longer see the "real" wall at all, but every status, regardless of whether it says "Friends Only; except XXXXXX" or not, now shows up in the newsfeed to the "test" profile even though that test profile is still included in the XXXXXX group.

So, FB appears to have changed the meaning and function of customizing "Posts by me". Even though I've customized it to say "Friends Only; except XXXXXX" for my statuses, they show up in the newsfeed for XXXXXX. But the entire wall is missing for those folks, which is NOT what that privacy setting says it will do. Not very private at all now.

And I'm sure this is what the prior person was experiencing with their post that I was severed from. Hopefully they are digging around in this forum and can find my post here so they can see the real issue, or else you'll just post twice, once to mine and once to theirs, with any possible resolutions.
Dora
Dora

Back to top Go down

Post by Dora Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Also, when I remove my test profile from the excluded group, my test profile can then see my real profile. Its an on/off switch for the entire wall now... but that's not what it says it will do...
Dora
Dora

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down