Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Animated GIFs

2 posters

Go down

Animated GIFs Empty Animated GIFs

Post by AlbertEHoffman Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:38 pm

It has been my understanding from others as well as my own testing, that Facebook does not allow animated GIFs to be uploaded, much to my chagrin.

Would you please tell me how this page was able to do so:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thank you.
AlbertEHoffman
AlbertEHoffman
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Animated GIFs Empty Re: Animated GIFs

Post by Admin Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:12 pm

Even though this shouldn't have actually been posted in this section, but in "Photos Support", I'll go ahead and help since this may be many people's question as well. Very Happy

All of those photos are indeed GIF, that's right. Notice they were all uploaded and updated ~last year, though. After having done some research some months ago, I found out that Facebook had a "security" breach that allowed people to upload these photos - so I believe the author has simply used the simple uploader.

How he managed to do that? He changed the image's ".GIF" extension to ".PNG" or ".JPG". The picture was still moving, since, for some reason, some Operative Systems seem to ignore this: as long as there are photograms, the image is a GIF one.

Facebook only allows PNG, JPG, JPEG and TIFF files. Since they had .JPG extensions, they were uploaded just like any other image is. VoilĂ !

Facebook fixed that bug about 1 or 2 weeks after someone spread the voice. Now, it's no longer possible to achieve having a moving image on Facebook (at least not regularly uploaded).

There are rumors and theories that say these people used Facebook applications and/or plug-ins, instead of changing the file's extension. I can't be sure though: as long as they're added to a photo album, it'd be an expert's/hacker's job to upload a simple image.

The only way to currently get a moving image on Facebook is through Facebook Apps. You need to know how they work (how they post content on your wall or create tabs), though, which requires having a paid host and reading pages and pages of boring documentation. Tongue
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by AlbertEHoffman Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. In spite of the fact that I have my settings set to receive an email upon replies to my posts, I received NONE in this case.

Rather than your implicit sarcasm, you could simply have told me I posted in the wrong forum and you have moved my post. For a newbie like I am to your forum, it's a far stretch to find a "photos" question in the massive list of topics in the HELP forum. When one scans the list of boards, it is not a normal course to look in Help but rather in the topical forums listed on the top level page. And I am a forum user of many years experience.

I shall not be posting anything further in this forum, thank you for your sarcasm!
AlbertEHoffman
AlbertEHoffman
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:16 pm

AlbertEHoffman wrote:Thanks for the reply. In spite of the fact that I have my settings set to receive an email upon replies to my posts, I received NONE in this case.

Rather than your implicit sarcasm, you could simply have told me I posted in the wrong forum and you have moved my post. For a newbie like I am to your forum, it's a far stretch to find a "photos" question in the massive list of topics in the HELP forum. When one scans the list of boards, it is not a normal course to look in Help but rather in the topical forums listed on the top level page. And I am a forum user of many years experience.

I shall not be posting anything further in this forum, thank you for your sarcasm!
I wasn't being sarcastic... I said that, even if this is a help-seeking topic that (by protocol) should have been posted in the "Photos Support" section, the "Photos" section was fine since more people who were having the same question could notice it more easily than if it was posted somewhere where there are too many people asking for help.

How's that sarcastic? Confused Apologizes if you thought I was trying to be rude, but I was just trying to help you out with your question as I do with everybody else here.

Edit: Seems to me, based on your previous posts, you just enjoy making a huge deal out of a tiny sentence, and disrespect people who are actually trying to help you out with something. As specified in our ToS/Registration Agreement:

We'd also like to kindly remind you that this is a non-profit community forum. We get no compensation in return from Facebook (or anywhere else), and we have no advertisements to generate revenue. We are volunteer members who spend our free time helping out others with Facebook issues; nothing is asked in return for our services and efforts. Therefore, if you wish to seek assistance here with your Facebook problems/issues, please respect the member(s) who is/are trying to help you. Rudeness, bad, and impatient attitudes will not be tolerated here on the forum; failure to comply with the rules will result in a ban from all forum facilities.

You have, therefore, been given 2 infractions. As your original question (How to upload animated GIFs on Facebook?) has been answered, this topic is solved.
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down