Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems accessing Facebook??Norton related

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Problems accessing Facebook??Norton related Empty Problems accessing Facebook??Norton related

Post by birdstream Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:33 am

I'm having the same problem, too.. Cannot update my status, post on walls, or even comment on posts on my own wall. Furthermore i can't upload or tag pictures, browse my friends list etc.. Basically i canät do anything at all! And the strangest thing is that i can't log out, either.. if i try to do that i get a connection reset by peer error.

>>>>SPLIT POSTS FROM ANOTHER THREAD AND CREATED NEW TOPIC TO AID CLARIFICATION OF POSTER'S PROBLEM

Last edited by ruby1 on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : as stated)
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Problems accessing Facebook??Norton related Empty Re: Problems accessing Facebook??Norton related

Post by birdstream Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:11 am

Hmm.. tried logging in on my girlfriends computer, then fb works like a charm!
Suspected some sort of virus on my computer but Norton says everything is fine. Spybot S&D won't find anything suspicious, either. However i tried removing the immunization database in Spybot S&D and then reappied it and now it works again! For now, that is...
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Problems accessing Facebook??Norton related Empty Re: Problems accessing Facebook??Norton related

Post by Ruby Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:37 am

birdstream wrote:Hmm.. tried logging in on my girlfriends computer, then fb works like a charm!
Suspected some sort of virus on my computer but Norton says everything is fine. Spybot S&D won't find anything suspicious, either. However i tried removing the immunization database in Spybot S&D and then reappied it and now it works again! For now, that is...

@birdstream

Do you have any other computer protection apart from Norton and Spybot on your computer and if so can you please tell us which programs?

To everyone else
You may find this 'interesting reading '

>>[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]<<
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by birdstream Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 pm

ruby1 wrote:
@birdstream

Do you have any other computer protection apart from Norton and Spybot on your computer and if so can you please tell us which programs?

[

Nope, Norton 2008 to keep viruses out of my system and Spybot to keep it clean from other unwanted stuff. Both Norton & Spybot says everything is just fine.
I'm running MS Vista and Firefox 3.6 on a Core2Duo T9300 & 4 GB Ram. Tried using IE but with same results.
My girl's computer runs FireFox on Windows XP Home, and AVG-Free as virus protection. No problem using Facebook there!

Like I wrote in my earlier post, "de-immunizing" my system with Spybot and then reapply the immunization seemed to work for a while..
I'm wondering if part of the Facebook server farm unintentionally got filtered out when Spybot and/or Norton was updated? Seems like a long shot but that is the only idea i can come up with right now. Or maybe some sneaky virus that avoids getting detected by Norton...?

Investigation will continue...
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by birdstream Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Ok, tried some stuff..

Facebook stops working properly again so i:

De-immunized my system in Spybot S&D - Facebook WORKS again
Reapplied immunization - Facebook still WORKS
Rebooted my computer - Facebook now FAILS

It seems like part of Facebook all of the sudden now conflicts with Spybot's immunization database?? The immunization feature in Spybot is basically a huge blocklist that prevents your browser from connecting to known evil servers..

The million dollar question is: WHY????
I really would hate disabling Spybot since i really like it and it has done an excellent job keeping my system free from crap so far..
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by birdstream Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Nope.. now it seems FB will not work even with spybot disabled.. Wont work on my girlfriends computer either.. this is really weird
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:00 pm

@Birdstream

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT DOUBLE OR TREBLE POST; USE THE EDIT TAB INSTEAD

I am currently looking around to see if Norton may, in your case , be the culprit .....

(I may split this 'discussion' to a separate thread)

What happens when you try to log into Facebook on your own computer ?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by birdstream Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:03 pm

At the moment, it works fine with both Norton & Spybot fully enabled.. not sure what's going on. At first, it definately seemed as if it was related to my computer. But now i'm not so sure anymore, since using facebook on the other computer started to fail aswell, but then started working again.
I guess all facebook accounts are distributed over a number of servers? and maybe one of them is having problems somehow (or undergoing maintenance pherhaps)? Cause this problem seems only to affect a limited group of users.. Most of my friends dont have any problem at all accessing facebook.
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:24 pm

Would you mind running these two scans
<<< [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

they may take anything up to three hours to run so be prepared........

Please also read the Disclaimer in that section about running programs 'at your own risk'.......

howver, as you say the problem may be with the Facebook servers .....
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by jonnypneumonic Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:50 pm

I think you'll find that its neither Norton or Spybot thats the issue, the issue lies firmly with FB and its over tasked server.

I have been having this problem for ages, especially annoying for me on FB Chat: see my many posts. But this is not limited to me, my friends (many) are all having the same problem, all on differing systems / software etc.

It seems sporadic, which is why it might seem your FB is working fine one min and then knackered (technical term) the next.

jonnypneumonic
jonnypneumonic
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:18 pm

@birdstream

Would you mind running the suggested scans to , if nowt else .hopefully eliminatge an infection from the equation?

Those two tools are two you can actually add to your 'arsenal of protection' as you really have very little on there anyways........

of interest , I understand that spybot is not really a 'recommended 'program anymore so you may wish to try these two new- for- you ones......
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by birdstream Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Yeah, but what really gets me is that when facebook starts failing on my computer, i can jump over and log in on my wife's computer and use it with no problem for a while, but eventually it stops working on her's aswell. This problem exists in both directions, sometimes it stops working on her's first and then mine. Both computers share the same internet connection. Me and a friend are currently debating however this could indicate a DNS-server problem, and the reason it fails on one computer before the other is simply because the dns-cache naturally doesn't expire at the same time in both computers. What do you guys think about that?
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by birdstream Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Ok, i was still pretty convinced Spybot S&D was one of the best Glasses

Sorry, but the link you posted gave me a 404, dude Happy
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:45 pm

>>>>PLEASE DO NOT DOUBLE-POST; USE THE EDIT BUTTON INSTEAD

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

just tested the link myself......

as to spybot...it is generally now not recommended

However, as always the computer user gets to decide what protection he/she will or will not run on their computer

so it is up to you......
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by birdstream Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Well, I tested malwarebytes and my first impression was that it is lacking a lot of the advanced feutures that is found in Spybot S&D.. Plus i have to pay to get resident protection which Spybot gives me for free. It did however detect some (alleged) bad registry entries identified as MyWebSearch, so i tried removing them. There was a couple of entries that needed my computer to restart to complete the cleanup, which makes perfect sense since many other similar programs (Spybot aswell) does just the same. But then things went south! Windows is now preventing malewarebytes to run to finish the cleanup when i start my computer! I get an info balloon telling windows is preventing "some programs" to start automatically because they demand elevated rights. When i click the balloon to see a list of the blocked programs it just dissappears.. no list of these blocked programs show up or anything. Dare i disable UAC?? If spybot needs elevated rights it conveniently tells you to run it as administrator...

Edit: Uninstalled it and now the annoying message at startup dissappeared. Seems that i'll stick with Spybot for now.. Like i said earlier, Spybot has so far done an excellent job keeping my system clean. I'm pretty cruel when it comes to judging programs and a rule of thumb here is "if it don't work right away on my system, it's probably crap".. Glasses

Whatever.. it seems to be working better now both on my own and my wife's computer again so i'm pretty convinced this is purely a facebook-related issue!

/Joakim
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:37 pm

It would have been nice ( as a matter of courtesy ) if you had at least given the time to post the report that the Malwarebytes scan gererated ...
With nowt to check one does not even know if you scanned with the correct 'definitions'......

I guess you did not yet try Superantispware?......

As to these two suggested programs 'being crap'...........

if you care to take a gander on the Malware -fighting -circuit you may note that these two programs are currently the ones suggested as a first -line of attack against malware..........

I guess you intend using just Norton and Spybot as your malware defense?

A lot of problems with the Facebook site of slowness, non-communication,cannot log in etc etc etc are unfortunately out of this forum's control and seem to be a fact of life if you have a Facebook account ......

sorry but I have no way of speeding up their Servers , bar telling 'em to get 'em rebooted OR to move to bigger servers , as we did with another (computer) forum I belong to where their server deals with billions of requests daily ..

that forum slowed to a stale- mate ...they came to a grinding halt and had to move to a far bigger and more efficient server ; that forum now flies along ......
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by birdstream Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Im pretty sure that Malewarebytes would do a great job tracking and deleting bad software just if it would have been kind enough to run properly in the first place. It's claimed to run on Vista/Win7 therefore i can't see why it would have problems with Vista's built-in security policies and UAC? At least that seems to be the problem in my case, but maybe i just had bad luck with it.. I guess i could have got it to run by simply disabling UAC but see that's not one thing i'm willing to do. If i install a program that's claimed to be a good one and run on my OS i simply expect it to work, thats all.

I'm afraid i lost the log in the uninstallation process. I can't seem find it, anyway.
But all of the entries was related to MyWebSearch however i can't tell if they were simply stored in quarantine because i know Spybot detects a huge amount of those entries, and i remember cleaning out MyWebSearch in Spybot some time ago.

Still hasn't gived SuperAntiSpyware a shot yet but i'll look at it later and let you know how it works out!

I've never reinstalled Vista on my computer (had it for 1½ yrs now) so maybe it's due for a total restore by now
Happy Eyes Cool Shades
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:15 am

If you get brave enough and run the Superantispyware program ...you may wish to know that to run a full computer scan can take up to two to three hours to run....
just thought I would 'prepare' you for that little outing ....

Did occur to me to ask.... do you have Spybot's Tea -Timer running ? Also, when did you last fully update both Spybot and Norton ?

( and an 'aside'...by what method do you connect to the internet?)
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by jonnypneumonic Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:35 am

All this Spybot/Norton chat is great, very informative, but do you think the software is causing your issues with Facebook?

Personally i dont run Spybot or the like, have the latest version of Norton and fully updated and running or fully disabled at boot Facebook still runs like a bucket of bolts.

With all the different systems I, my friends and all those others on here who are having the same issues are using, i consider it more likely to be a FB issue rather than anything else.

Are you thinking otherwise ?

J.
jonnypneumonic
jonnypneumonic
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:55 am

@birdstream
Please read
>>[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]<<

which browser/s are you using on Facebook?
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by birdstream Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:25 am

ruby1 wrote:If you get brave enough and run the Superantispyware program ...you may wish to know that to run a full computer scan can take up to two to three hours to run....
just thought I would 'prepare' you for that little outing ....
Yes, I did - And I had better luck with that one Happy Did a complete scan, took 45 minutes. Aside from a bunch of tracking cookies it found a .DLL claimed to be part of "MyWebSearch/FunWebProducts" in my MSN Live Messenger program directory. Just like Malewarebytes, it asked me to reboot to complete the cleanup.. and this time there were no problems! I rarely use messenger so i can't tell if this malware has been affecting my everyday-surfing-and-internet-use in any matter. But it's nice to know it's gone, anyway Happy

ruby1 wrote:Did occur to me to ask.... do you have Spybot's Tea -Timer running ? Also, when did you last fully update both Spybot and Norton ?
Yes, I have it running. I was thinking that maybe that was why Malewarebytes failed on me, but then again it was Vista itself, not Spybot, complaining about it...
The SuperAntiSpyware website claims their program works fine together with other anti-malware software - A promise they have lived up to, so far i think Happy
Spybot and Norton is fully up-to-date..!

ruby1 wrote:( and an 'aside'...by what method do you connect to the internet?)

I connect to the internet through a ADSL modem/router (NAT)

Joakim
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:59 pm

Have things improved for you yet?

I suspect that ,like others, your problems are' in the hands of Facebook' so to speak....
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by birdstream Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:20 pm

ruby1 wrote:Have things improved for you yet?

I suspect that ,like others, your problems are' in the hands of Facebook' so to speak....

No difference.. Like you said, the problem is likely on facebook's side. It has, however, seemed to be working better since last night although it is ridicilously slow sometimes...
birdstream
birdstream
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:31 pm

I have just been doing some research around Facebook and its servers etc

If you do a Google search for
'Facebook Servers' you may find some 'enlightening ' info to read.....

Assuming you are 'infection free' I guess the problem will lie with Facebook'

Facebook is free to use and I do think people expect a little too much from it at times ....

Of interest, when did you last do a Defragment of your computer ...
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruby Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:59 am

>>Is this still a problem ? If no feedback within three days of my posting this I will assume this is now resolved; Thanks
Ruby
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next