Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just Found Out Someone Has Found A Way To Get My Inbox Messages To Their Inbox

2 posters

Go down

Just Found Out Someone Has Found A Way To Get My Inbox Messages To Their Inbox Empty Just Found Out Someone Has Found A Way To Get My Inbox Messages To Their Inbox

Post by Shawnie Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:04 pm

I don't wanna get into to many personal details but I have been going through a custody battle with my ex, my dad has always been on me to make sure I keep all my inbox messages in case I need to use them for court.I have although I have never gave them too him when he's asked (he said he just wants to know whats going on but I'm a pretty private person and to be honest it would embarass me) anyway he brought his laptop over for my son to use tonight because my computer crashed. Anyway I decieded to check out my facebook page and his came on. Anyway sice he was acting so weird about my facebook stuff I decieded to check his inbox, and this is where it gets weird. He has about 10 messages in his inbox that are from mine. Back and forth conversations between me and my ex andnot only that but from other people that have messaged me back and forth over the past few weeks. When i read it shows up exactly how it would in my own inbox but says conversations between you, Shawnie and so and so. WTF ? how is this done and is it even legal ? I know it's my Dad but that is a total invasion of my privacy and also of the other people sending me messages. I deleted the message and blocked him right away.
Shawnie
Shawnie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Just Found Out Someone Has Found A Way To Get My Inbox Messages To Their Inbox Empty Re: Just Found Out Someone Has Found A Way To Get My Inbox Messages To Their Inbox

Post by Admin Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:11 pm

Who was able to read those messages, your ex husband, dad or son?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Just Found Out Someone Has Found A Way To Get My Inbox Messages To Their Inbox Empty Re: Just Found Out Someone Has Found A Way To Get My Inbox Messages To Their Inbox

Post by Shawnie Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:14 pm

My Dad
Shawnie
Shawnie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:38 pm

So he was able to read his messages as he was your ex husband, right? Are you sure it was his account and not your ex husband's?

It's impossible (unless it's a bug, and Facebook rarely has privacy bugs) that he can read someone else's messages as it was his account.

Didn't you take a screenshot, photo, or anything you can use as proof?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawnie Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:42 pm

No I blocked him away. And yes it's his account, and it wasn't just my ex's messages it was messages from 2 other people too that have nothing to do with any of it. Seriously it was just as if I would have opened my own inbox, except he had a few messages from other people too

Don't forget it also said "between you, Shawnie and the other people"
Shawnie
Shawnie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:47 pm

That's extremely awkward.. Confused

If, by any chance, you could login with his account once again and take a couple [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of those messages, I think Facebook could give you an official answer (assuming it is a privacy bug, and that your dad hasn't created fake accounts to recreate conversations).
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawnie Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:53 pm

See now I feel stupid because I deleted all the messages. I also emptied my inbox so it couldn't happen. I tried calling him because I'm really upset about it but no answer. I'm not sure if it's a bug but I do know he was trying very hard to get me to send him the messages, he wanted me to email them to him and we got into a huge arguement over it so I doubt it's a coincidence
Shawnie
Shawnie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawnie Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:55 pm

is it possible he found my password or something and made it so he gets messages too ? I know it sounds crazy but I really dont know what to think
Shawnie
Shawnie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Shawnie wrote:is it possible he found my password or something and made it so he gets messages too ? I know it sounds crazy but I really dont know what to think

That could have happened. You could check Account >> Account Settings >> Account Security to see recent logins. That gives you the IP address, location, time and web browser that you used to login. If you see anything strange, then take that as a chance. Otherwise, I don't really know how (if he did it intentionally) he could have gained access to your messages.

I suggest you also turn on e-mail and SMS notifications for account logins, so that you know if your account was accessed by someone else Wink
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawnie Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:12 pm

So it is possible ? I mean lets sayI wanted to have a 3rd party recieve messages I could set facebook up like that ? if so I'm sure thats what he did. He will deny it but this isn't cool. I will do as you said, thanks for the help!!
Shawnie
Shawnie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawnie Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:18 pm

Ok so I checked the account settings and it all comes from the same city, all thedevice types are the same except for one on November 20th, the device type is different. Does that mean he probably did it ?
Shawnie
Shawnie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:25 pm

No, that's not possible. Facebook employees are real privacy freaks, they offer granular settings to keep everything as private as possible (that's why privacy settings are constantly changing). Messages can ONLY be read by the sender and the receiver. Nobody else.

That's why I doubt this is a bug. It couldn't only happen with one single account (so far I haven't read any reports of this). Although, now I think about it, Facebook Messages are being updated soon (as announced by Facebook)... maybe it could be a beta testing fail? Did his inbox look like yours, or did it have a different style?

---- Edit ----

Ok so I checked the account settings and it all comes from the same city, all thedevice types are the same except for one on November 20th, the device type is different. Does that mean he probably did it ?

Wow... seems he did. As long as you're sure you weren't the one who used that device. Was is accessed in a different browser? Are the IP's the same (hover the location with your mouse and check the IP number)?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawnie Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:47 pm

IP's are the same, but the device type for most is IE and the other one is Chrome. This is really confusing, sorry about that. And yes his inbox looked exactly like mine, it only had a few messages from me and the rest were his. Strange I know

I know for a fact the only place I've signed into facebook has been with this computer, since the summer anyway
Shawnie
Shawnie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:59 pm

And you use IE, right? Check if your husband's laptop has Google Chrome installed. If it does, then yes, he used your account to re-send the messages.
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawnie Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:25 am

ok my mistake on the last one, it was probably me using google chrome because I downloaded it and had it for afew hours, I never thought about it because I uninstalled it right after. Anyway I still haven't been able to confront him or figure out what happened. I know for sure he must have done something but what ? even if he got my password how could he have changed it so the messages I get go into his inbox ? it's even more weird with his inbox saying conversations between him, me and whoever else. The more I think about it the more my head hurts
Shawnie
Shawnie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shawnie Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:13 am

I'm 99% sure I figured it out. A few weeks ago I was sick and had to go to the clinic, my parents came over to watch my son so he wouldn't have to wait for me. I know I left the computer on so he could play games. So I think my dad must have went on, went to my facebook (wouldn't need my password since i was already signed in) copy and pasted my messages and sent them to his own inbox so he could have them for myself. I must have read the conversations with all 3 of us wrong, just because it was his inbox and said sonversations with "you" it makes the most sense right ? especially since the pictures came up too. Not only am I upset by this but if the whole point was to get my messages to my ex why was there the other messages between me and my friends ? unless he was testing to see if it would work. Either way a total invasion of my privacy. Thanks so much for all the help happy
Shawnie
Shawnie
Rookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:18 pm

Great to hear you figured it out! Even though it could be a little invasive, I think your dad may have been trying to help you out, in case someone got onto your inbox to delete your messages (probably because they could have been evidence). Let's just say you have to be careful with leaving your account logged in or with password auto-remember Wink

Remember to also keep the SMS and e-mail notifications activated. Yesterday I logged in with a different browser and I got a SMS from Facebook 2 seconds after... it's a really great feature and it can help you know who and when is using your account. Keep that in mind for next time!

Gladly sent to Solved problems Very Happy
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down