Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Approval to join community

2 posters

Go down

Approval to join community Empty Approval to join community

Post by aploc Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi !
I created a community for my school class and my question is: Where can I adjust that I have to approve first before anyone can join this community ? There are children´s photos on this page and I don´t want everyone to be able to see them !!!
Thanks for your help !
Andrea
aploc
aploc

Back to top Go down

Approval to join community Empty Re: Approval to join community

Post by Tim Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Hi Andrea,

Do you mean a new group? If so, go to your group page and click on the 'Edit Group' button on the top right. From there, you can set the group's privacy in the second row.

Closed = Anyone can see the group and who's in it. Only members see posts.Only members see the group, who's in it, and what members post.
Secret=Only members see the group, who's in it, and what members post.
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by aploc Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:01 am

Hi Tim !
Thank you very much for your reply ! I really appreciate your help !
I founded a "community" and the only way i found so far to make any restrictions was to make the page only visible to admins and so I made all my students admins so they and nobody else can see the page ...
but i guess there must be a better way ...
aploc
aploc

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:05 am

Hi Andrea,

No problem we are always glad to help. Oh do you mean you created a community page instead, not a group?
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by aploc Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:09 pm

thanks, tim, yes, it´s a community page.
i have now found a way to just let photos not appear on the banner and i hope that way people who are no admins cannot see any pictures except the ones on the banner ...
i think i should have created an account for my class instead ... that would have been the most "private" option, right ?
again: thank you very much for your help, i really appreciate it !!!
aploc
aploc

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:56 am

Hi Andrea,

Good to know you've found an alternative way. However, a potential problem with making all your students admins is that they have the power to remove any other admins, including you. They are also empowered to make any changes to group settings as they desire.

I too agree that perhaps a group may be a better option; When you create a group, you can completely control its privacy. There are three different access levels:

-Open: For Open groups, everyone on Facebook can view the group and join. The group will appear in search results and all content (e.g., photos, videos and discussions) is visible to anyone viewing the group.

-Closed: For Closed groups, everyone on Facebook can see the name and members of a group, but only group members can view content in the group.

-Secret: These groups cannot be found in searches, and non-members can’t see anything about the group, including its name and membership list. The name of the group will not display on the profiles of members.

Group administrators can change these options at any time by clicking "Edit Group" in the top right hand corner of the page.

Group admins are able to change the privacy settings of a group. All members of the group will receive a notification that the settings have changed.

However, the new groups currently do not have the functionality of a 'photo album'. All photos can only be posted on the group wall; they cannot be put in any photo albums. That might make the Group wall a bit messy and hard to locate photos. Some advantages and disadvantages to both sides, I guess. Depends on which you prefer -- privacy vs. flexibility Happy

---
with files from facebook.com
Tim
Tim
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by aploc Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:54 pm

thank you very much for always taking the time !
i had founded a group before i created that community but deleted it again because the most important part were the photo albums ...
thank you for reminding me that the students now could actually delete other members, i did not think of that option at all ... !
i really appreciate your help and your input ! thanks again !
have a great weekend !
many greetings from vienna,
andrea
aploc
aploc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down