Social Media Support Center
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 5 Most Popular Facebook Myths And Rumors

+4
JayJay
iJerick
Poke
Admin
8 posters

Go down

The 5 Most Popular Facebook Myths And Rumors Empty The 5 Most Popular Facebook Myths And Rumors

Post by Admin Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:16 pm

A really cool article I found at AllFacebook.com. It talks about those Facebook fake rumours that became really famous even though they were not true.

Facebook is a great tool for communicating with friends, family, and even business contacts, but it’s also a great tool for rapidly spreading myths and rumors. We regularly get emails about myths and rumors, so we decided that we’d post the most popular myths and rumors that come across our desks. Below is a list of 7 of the most popular Facebook myths and rumors.

Facebook Will Charge To Use The Site

This has to be the most popular rumor. As we’ve written on numerous occasions, Facebook is not charging and never will. However thousands of users every day, and frequently many more, spread the myth that Facebook is about to start charging for the service. The price tends to differ each time the myth arises, yet people continue to fall for it. The company has officially told us that Facebook will not begin charging for the service.

Facebook Will Sell Your Data

If Facebook isn’t charging for the service, that must mean that they are going to have to sell you data to survive, right? Wrong! Facebook does not sell your data to advertisers. Instead, they let advertisers target users with advertisements through their self-serve advertising program based on a number of factors. None of the user information is ever exposed to the advertiser. Instead, the advertiser is provided with an anonymized report showing which demographic groups clicked on their links. No personally identifiable information is ever exposed to advertisers.
While some people continue to argue that one day Facebook will need to sell your data in order to become profitable, the reality is that the company is doing just fine with advertising revenue. In fact, the company is projected to surpass $1 billion in revenue this year, the majority of which is generated through the company’s advertising platform. In other words, the company will never need to sell your data in order to cover costs as they are rapidly approaching profitability without doing so.
Finally, selling user data would damage their trust with users and users are the most important group to the company.

Social Plugins Expose Your Data!

You know those new plugin that let you see what articles are the most popular among your friends or let you view who else is sharing content on a site? Some people have suggested that these plugins expose data to the owner of the site that those plugins appear on. In reality, no data is ever made available to the site owner. The reason site owners place the “social plugins” on their site is in order to increase the engagement of users. In other words, it keeps the visitor on the site for a longer period of time, something that most site owners desire.

Facebook Is Launching An Email Product

One of the lesser-known rumors was that Facebook was going to launch an email product. While many of us have hoped that Facebook would launch an email product, Mark Zuckerberg recently dismissed such claims. Paul Bucheit, the creator of GMail also previously told us that he was not working on a secret email client. Yes, it would be awesome if Paul redefined web-based email twice in a row, but Mark Zuckerberg has publicly stated that the company is not working on an email client, so don’t expect it!

Facebook Is Launching A Music Company

One of the other popular rumors for the past three years has been that Facebook was secretly working on a music project.
While iLike rose to become one of the most popular, and one of the most viral applications of all-time, that was the closest Facebook ever came to an official music project. Then in October of last year, Lala entered the gift shop but by May of this year it was pulled after Apple shut it down.
Since then, no rumors have surfaced that the company is launching another music service. One thing has become clear though: Facebook would much rather let another company handle music than handle it themselves.

I've heard about all of them thanks to Fan Pages that were created just to attract more fans. Have you heard about any of this rumors? What do you think now you know they're untrue?
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

The 5 Most Popular Facebook Myths And Rumors Empty Re: The 5 Most Popular Facebook Myths And Rumors

Post by Poke Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:41 pm

no, I did not hear about this rumors. But thanks for the info. Happy
Poke
Poke
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

The 5 Most Popular Facebook Myths And Rumors Empty Re: The 5 Most Popular Facebook Myths And Rumors

Post by iJerick Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:44 pm

Thanks for the info.. Happy
iJerick
iJerick
SN Guru

Back to top Go down

Post by JayJay Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:31 pm

I've heard of #1 I knew it wasn't true
JayJay
JayJay
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Cloud Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:47 pm

I heard about the "selling info" and "charging.." ones, but I never really thought they were true because they must make enough off of the adds they place on the site alone.
Cloud
Cloud
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by branaja Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:55 am

it would be great if facebook will charge using the site. it would mean that their suppoer would be better Very Happy and that's what I need now Very Happy
branaja
branaja
Frequent Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:07 pm

branaja wrote:it would be great if facebook will charge using the site. it would mean that their suppoer would be better Very Happy and that's what I need now Very Happy

What would happen to those that cannot pay to use it, should they just... drop it out? I don't think so. What would be great indeed is having the option to but more stuff to get some more features (completely optional), such as to expand the number of friends you can add, customized settings, access to certain apps, etc. Facebook would get more money, of course!
Admin
Ultimate SN Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by pizza Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:23 pm

Only the first one is quite popular, setting chain emails about "oh facebook is going to close". Man its annoying :|
pizza
pizza
Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down